Devious Licks… aka Literal Theft

Thousands of students nationwide are participating in a concerning TikTok trend that consists of stealing soap dispensers, security cameras, and even bathroom sinks for short-lived internet popularity.

Kaitlyn Barsanti, 12, and Sonia Kurian, 12, strike a pose mocking the silly trend, specifically the popularity of the vandalism of soap dispensers.

Asmee Shitoley

Asmee Shitoley, Bear Hub Staff

This new trend, called Devious Licks, has made its way to numerous news headlines and thousands of schools across the United States as students brag about the thefts they were able to get away with.

As Devious Licks become more popular, school officials struggle to find ways to stop students from stealing school property. While this act may be coined a “trend,” there are very real consequences as students are partaking in criminal mischief and institutional vandalism.

Some high schools have shut down student bathrooms completely while others have removed bathroom doors. East Brunswick, however, has implemented hall monitors that record students’ ID numbers as they enter the bathroom to prevent this from happening again.

As for the social media platform it is trending on, TikTok has started to remove “Devious Licks” videos. TikTok states that these videos are against their community guidelines and urges students to “Please be kind to your schools & teachers.”

Administrators hope that like most trends, this one is short-lived.