The Living Yearbook of East Brunswick High School

EBHS Bear Hub

EBHS Bear Hub

EBHS Bear Hub

Polls

Do you think homeroom is making an impact on school spirit?

• Yes, I love seeing my homeroom and planning spirit stuff together. (24%, 8 Votes)
  • I was asleep in homeroom so I don't know.... (47%, 16 Votes)
  • I don't know about school spirit, but I know I want COOKIES (21%, 7 Votes)
  • Yes, because I feel pressured to participate to not let my homeroom down. (6%, 2 Votes)
  • I have infiltrated an alternate homeroom where I indeed am quite spirited. (3%, 1 Votes)

Total Voters: 30

Loading ... Loading ...

Practical Arts : Fostering Curiosity and Connection

Layla Sheikh
Seniors (from left) Maria Samaan, Amanda Beiderman, and Danielle Lederman pose for a picture with Avnoor, a preschool student, while waiting for her to be picked up.

The Practical Arts department provides the building blocks for students to gain new skills completely from scratch, regardless of their previous experience. Students working in this department have a range of interest levels, from simple curiosity in these subjects to intense dedication. A lot of times, what starts as curiosity in the Practical Arts department grows into a future for students’ careers and hobbies.
The department does their best to provide students with all the skills needed to pursue these technical futures. Some teachers also wish to see opportunities for trade skills to be taught at EBHS so students can go straight into fields they wish to be a part of.
In Practical Arts classes, the curriculum is built in a way that fosters creativity. Learning is mainly project based and therefore students are able to get hands-on experience and learn from their successes and mistakes. In my own experience, Practical Arts classes have been a way to take a break from the traditional lecture-style classes and learn something new.
When thinking about the future, faculty are not just thinking about what curriculum changes they would like to see but also physical changes. With plans for a new EBHS building in the works, teachers are thinking about what they would like to see for their department in the new building. A common theme throughout what teachers are looking for is room for collaboration. In the new building Ms. Nesci wants to see “dynamic and collaborative classroom spaces that foster adaptability” and Mr. Alsobrooks agrees. He points to the current students circling around their drone buzzing in the air and says that “having spaces where students can work together better would be great,” having spaces that work with the curriculum would improve the learning experiences for all students.
A place for curiosity and collaboration, the Practical Arts department encourages the spirit of inquiry and teamwork across their variety of subjects.