The Living Yearbook of East Brunswick High School

EBHS Bear Hub

EBHS Bear Hub

EBHS Bear Hub

Polls

Do you think homeroom is making an impact on school spirit?

• I was asleep in homeroom so I don't know.... (47%, 16 Votes)
  • I don't know about school spirit, but I know I want COOKIES (21%, 7 Votes)
  • I have infiltrated an alternate homeroom where I indeed am quite spirited. (3%, 1 Votes)
  • Yes, I love seeing my homeroom and planning spirit stuff together. (24%, 8 Votes)
  • Yes, because I feel pressured to participate to not let my homeroom down. (6%, 2 Votes)

Total Voters: 30

Loading ... Loading ...

She Kills Monsters: Backstage Action

Ryleigh Balazs (11) and Shlok Pathak (12) on stage for EBHS Drama Clubs performance of She Kills Monsters.
Andee Fagan
Ryleigh Balazs (11) and Shlok Pathak (12) on stage for EBHS Drama Club’s performance of “She Kills Monsters”.

Lights, camera, action. The EBHS Drama Club’s effort and determination make She Kills Monsters a success. These young talented actors do a phenomenal job with the play, embodying the characters and bringing them to life on stage.

She Kills Monsters tells the story of Agnes Evans, played by Ryleigh Balazs (11), a teenager in the 1990s who embraces her sister’s love of Dungeons and Dragons after her sister passes away. In the first scene, she enters an R&D store where she meets Chuck Biggs who introduces her to the roleplaying game.

Shlok Pathak (12), who plays Chuck Biggs, truly embodies the character with every line he projects. His performance was amazing and comedizing, not only because he was trained in Jedi Jitsu but because he added his shade to the character.

Shlok Pathak (12) seen striking a pose off stage in between scenes.

As a member of Yearbook Club, I was given special backstage access to the show, and this unique experience allowed me to see what happens before the production starts. Before the show, the cast members gather around backstage, for a ‘feelings circle,’ where they pep themselves up with a few sing-alongs.

The Drama Club’s artistic details are meticulous. The screen backdrops, stage props, and costumes knit the show together seamlessly, inviting the audience to become part of the story’s setting. Cast member Kayden Acosta (Orcus) (12), emphasized he was “honored to have a part in this production, the effort everyone has put in has been immense, and it shines through in everything [they] do.”

Director Jeffrey Davis added that She Kills Monsters “is exciting, heartwarming, and allows students to express themselves.”

Drama Club students get together before their performance and create what they call a “feelings circle”.