The Living Yearbook of East Brunswick High School

EBHS Bear Hub

EBHS Bear Hub

EBHS Bear Hub

Polls

Do you think homeroom is making an impact on school spirit?

• Yes, I love seeing my homeroom and planning spirit stuff together. (24%, 8 Votes)
  • Yes, because I feel pressured to participate to not let my homeroom down. (6%, 2 Votes)
  • I don't know about school spirit, but I know I want COOKIES (21%, 7 Votes)
  • I have infiltrated an alternate homeroom where I indeed am quite spirited. (3%, 1 Votes)
  • I was asleep in homeroom so I don't know.... (47%, 16 Votes)

Total Voters: 30

Loading ... Loading ...

Lights, Camera, Passion!

Take a sneak peek through the dazzling world of film through the eyes of Mr. Cibrian
Mr. Cibrian poses in front of a wall adorned with posters which reflect his passion for film.

Inside the dimly-lit confines of a high school classroom, there exists a guiding force whose passion for the silver screen ignites the imagination of students like wildfire – Mr. Cibrian. With his infectiously positive attitude, he takes his students, film extraordinaires and casual media consumers alike, on an enchanting journey through the history of cinema, from the pioneers of the silent era and even through the golden age of Hollywood to the contemporary blockbusters of today.

For many students, his classroom isn’t just a space to discuss films, it’s a place to broaden your horizons and sharpen your critical thinking skills. “[Mr.Cibrian] encourages us to do more than simply watch films; he challenges us to delve into the depths of their narratives,” explained one of his students, Simon Dunbar. In his class, films become windows to human experiences, where students are taught to read between the frames and pay attention to subtle nuances that escape casual viewers.

“I seek to expose my students to the purpose of filmmaking; it’s a lot of different art forms at once,” remarked Mr. Cibrian. He encourages his students to look past just the technicalities of film, and recognize the blend of artistic expressions that create movies. In a world where we’re basically bombarded with screens at all times, he places an emphasis on the importance of media literacy. “Knowing how to watch films and interpret them is incredibly important, especially today,” he adds.

Mr. Cibrian’s Science Fiction in Film class views the classic 1982 Blade Runner.

“Two of my students from 2005 actually won the Oscars!” It’s no surprise that Mr. Cibrian’s influence stretches far beyond his classroom, leaving a lasting impact on the lives and careers of his students. His dedication to honoring the creative skills of young minds is evidenced by the success of his former students, Charlie Wachtel and David Rabinowitz, who wrote a screenplay that won the Grand Prix at the Cannes Film Festival, as well as Best Adapted Screenplay.

Mr. Cibrian didn’t always teach film though. Initially, he started off as an English teacher, switching to film as a sort of passion project. As he put it, “When I started teaching film appreciation in 2001, I noticed the difference between students in my English class who were required to be there, as compared to students who actually wanted to take the film elective.” And with the most recent creation of his Science Fiction in Film class, it’s clear that in Mr. Cibrian’s journey from the realm of literature to the world of cinema, he not only discovered his own passion but also enchanted countless young minds.

Mr. Cibrian hopes to continue the legacy of East Brunswick High School’s Film Club in 1973.