Spooky Season Films

The Halloween season should be spent the right way; watching horror movies of course! Here are five recommendations for must watch films this October.

Scream (1997)

Picasa

Scream (1997)

Sarah Kincaid, Bear Hub Editor

1. Scream
Directed in 1196, starting Drew Barrymore and Courtney Cox, is a classic American slasher film but with a modern twist. It combines the usual horror movie aspect along with hints of comedy. Taking place in a middle class suburbia, a masked knife killer stalks and murders high school students. Sidney Prescott, the main character of the film, is the main target of these new killings which happen to begin one the year anniversary of her mother’s death.

“A year after the murder of her mother, a teenage girl is terrorized by a new killer, who targets the girl and her friends by using horror films as part of a deadly game”.

2. IT
The 2017 remake of Stephen King’s IT focuses on seven young outcasts living in Derry, Maine as they face a summer out of their nightmares. Coming back with the same bloodthirsty and murderous goal every 27 years, a shapeshifting evil known as Pennywise curses the town and its people. With this killer circus clown to blame for the disappearances of children in the town, the “Losers Club” as they call themselves, decide to be the ones to stop this murderous creature.

“In the summer of 1989, a group of bullied kids band together to destroy a shape-shifting monster, which disguises itself as a clown and preys on the children of Derry, their small Maine town”.

3. The Shining
This well known psychological horror movie starring Jack Nicholson is a must watch every Halloween season. Jack Torrence and his family become the caretakers of a hotel in Colorado. His young son Danny is haunted by psychic premonitions in this hotel, which get a bit out of hand. Jack Torrence is quick to unravel the dark secrets/ past of this hotel he has agreed to watch over which urge him into a homicidal maniac terrorizing his own family.

“A family heads to an isolated hotel for the winter where a sinister presence influences the father into violence, while his psychic son sees horrific forebodings from both past and future”.

4. Hereditary
The 2018 dramatic horror movie is nothing less than mind-twisting. After the death of her ill mother, Annie Graham and her family begin to unravel secrets about their ancestry they never saw coming. Revolving around the Graham family, this film is about tragic and nonetheless, disturbing, occurrences coming from their grieving.

“A grieving family is haunted by tragic and disturbing occurrences”.

5. Unfriended
Taking place over a video chat, a group of six teenagers carry one a normal late night conversation throughout the night. They are joined by a new user, who they thought just appeared due to a glitch, until they all began receiving odd and terrifying messages. Trying to end the night’s video chat, each teen is forced to let out their darkest truths.

“A group of online chat room friends find themselves haunted by a mysterious, supernatural force using the account of their dead friend”.