Smashing the Competition: A Gaming Tradition

Super Smash Brothers is a multiplayer-friendly action game that features characters such as Mario and Kirby. EBHS’ annual tournament gives students the opportunity to practice their skills and compete for money.

Andrew Yuen

Two competitors face off in a chance to win the $50 grand prize.

Andrew Yuen, Bear Hub Staff

Eyes glare at me as the flash from the DSLR rapidly shutters. I apologize, their eyes scurrying back to the small screen where animated characters fight in a game known as Super Smash Bros. Intense concentration and muted conversations wash over the room, dozens observing throughout the media center’s upper level. Arjun Deepak, the event organizer, called out brackets as competitors fumbled to connect their Nintendo Switch controllers with their respective screens. Arjun tells Bear Hub that these tournaments were founded out of his own interest in Smash Bro competitions. He had always wanted tournaments that were closer to home, but when no one created them, he decided to take matters into his own hands. For him, the most rewarding aspect is “seeing growth as a player” and a “strive to always get better.” He says “the clash of two players, each eager to win and show off their talent,” is intriguing and motivating.

James Troshane, an EB History Teacher and avid competitor, lost early on in the competition. He enjoys participating because “I never have the opportunity to play video games with my students and it’s fun being the villian.” Many participated simply to have fun and practice their skills, while others vied for the top spot, which included prize money. In past years, Lucas Blazej, 12, dominated the competition and won on several occasions. This year, he continued that streak and beat out other top competitors including David Kessler and Nathaniel Starr.
Although the tournament was an opportunity to win money, it also gave the chance for gamers to meet new people and socialize. Just feet away from the action, a huge food stand consisting of pizza, cookies, and other staples transacted through the night. Students conversed between brackets, discussing strategy and other gaming topics. Lucas says “I’ve been here many times before and every year, the event gets better with more and more people.”