The Living Yearbook of East Brunswick High School

EBHS Bear Hub

EBHS Bear Hub

EBHS Bear Hub

Polls

Do you think homeroom is making an impact on school spirit?

• I have infiltrated an alternate homeroom where I indeed am quite spirited. (3%, 1 Votes)
  • I was asleep in homeroom so I don't know.... (47%, 16 Votes)
  • Yes, I love seeing my homeroom and planning spirit stuff together. (24%, 8 Votes)
  • Yes, because I feel pressured to participate to not let my homeroom down. (6%, 2 Votes)
  • I don't know about school spirit, but I know I want COOKIES (21%, 7 Votes)

Total Voters: 30

Loading ... Loading ...

Championing Victory

A Season of Skill: The Unforgettable Field Hockey Team
The Field Hockey team celebrates a win at the GMC Finals against South Plainfield.

In this incredibly fast-paced season, our field hockey team emerged as a powerhouse. They’ve now consecutively won not one, not two, but three consecutive GMC titles. As the sun set on every match, the players’ passion echoed in the encouraging words of Coach Danielle Butrico herself, “continue to strive and be the best student athlete.”

Throughout the year, the team witnessed an extraordinary series of achievements. Among the standout stars, senior goalie Kayla Balsamo stood out in our school’s athletic history by reaching an impressive milestone of 200 career saves. According to Kayla, she began her journey as a field hockey goalkeeper by chance. “I decided to try a new sport in 8th grade and my coach recommended I try the position, but from day one I knew I was exactly where I was meant to be,” said Kayla. Her achievement not only reflects her individual prowess but also stands as a testament to how simply trying something new can lead to something grand.

On the offensive front, senior forward Prisha Dhruve and junior midfielder Samantha Arnold both emerged as the stars of the season, each reaching an incredible 100-point milestone. When asked about how they celebrated after these wins, Prisha Dhruve added that “It was truly a team effort and wouldn’t have been possible without the support of the team.”

Adding to our list of stars, sophomore Julia Rose made waves early in the season by being named “the top defensive player of the week” in September, inspiring many of her fellow teammates in the process. When asked, Julia Rose notes that “Connections with your teammates help you thrive on and off the field,” bringing light to the tight-knit relationship the team members have with each other.

Additionally, the players work in harmony with each other, leading every athlete to develop well-rounded identities in their sport. Coach Butrico added that the field hockey team “was able to be undefeated in the GMC, win the GMC conference tournament, and even make it to the semifinals in the State for group 4,” demonstrating the uniformity in virtue for every team member.

To celebrate their wins, the teammates have endearing ways to cheer each other on. Uniquely, they’ve got a tradition of rewarding the players of the week with an adorable, stuffed, little bear. The bear, called “Bart” short for “Bartholomew,” is given to whoever demonstrates true passion to the sport on and off the field. According to Captain Prisha Dhruve, “Bart helps us recognize a person that stood out to us that week and motivates each other.”

As we look back on this season, we celebrate not only the individual accomplishments of these outstanding athletes but also the unity that defines our field hockey team. According to Prisha, they “grew closer as a team and became better people from the lessons [they] learned on the field.” With their unmatched dedication and skill, the field hockey team has set the standard for excellence.