Bridging the Gap: Exploring East Asian Cultures

“The biggest misconception I hear about Asian Club is that you have to be Asian to join,” Dennis Zhang, Asian Club President, says. With dozens of culturally diverse members, the club’s “main goal is to bring people together to learn more about Asian culture in a fun and interesting way.”

Andrew Yuen, Bear Hub Staff

Meetings and events incorporate traditional aspects of Asian culture through food, games, and celebrations. “At events, we open up participation to the rest of the school and encourage everyone to either perform or watch,” Zhang says. Asian Club’s three main events are the Ping-Pong Tournament, Bubble Tea House, and Asian Night. While all of these events aim to provide insight into Asian culture, they do so through unique and creative ways. The club’s largest event, Asian Night, includes a cultural fashion show and open dance floor, attracting over 300 students every year.
Recently, their annual Bubble Tea House attracted over 150 students, the largest in the event’s history. Zhang says the event “drew inspiration from a coffeehouse,” substituting coffee with bubble tea. Gong Cha, a wildly popular bubble tea shop, supplied over 100 orders of both original flavor and soy. Other high school organizations such as the Tri-M Music Honors Society put hard work into organizing the large event, setting up instruments, equipment, and other necessities for later performances. Throughout the night, there was a variety of Asian-inspired performances including yo-yo tricks and choreographed K-Pop dances; other activities included a spicy-ramen eating contest and raffle prizes, with spirits running high.

By introducing students to various aspects of different cultures, Asian Club helps to unite the diverse community at East Brunswick High School and shines a light on the unique backgrounds that make every student special.
Tien Luu, 12, competes in Bubble Tea House’s annual ramen eating contest.