A Girl Of Many Talents: An Interview with Kaleigh Duffy

Senior Kaleigh Duffy reflects on the variety of diverse extracurricular activities she participated in during high school and what she plans to do after graduation.

Kaleigh Duffy smiles, showing off her fire helmet, varsity jacket, AND violin, demonstrating her multitude of interests.

Alefiya Presswala, Bear Hub Editor

Q: WHAT ACCOMPLISHMENT ARE YOU MOST PROUD OF AND WHY?

A: I have been in the Brookview Volunteer Fire Department for about 3 years now and it has been a dream of mine from such a young age to be a firefighter. My latest accomplishment which I am proud of most is the 2021 Firefighter of the Year. I am the first Jr./Probationary member to receive this award and it is amazing to look back and see how all my hard work has paid off. In addition, I was also the Top Responder for 2021.

Q: HAS THERE BEEN A SINGLE CLASS YOU HAVE TAKEN THAT HAS BEEN YOUR FAVORITE AND/OR THE MOST INFLUENTIAL TO YOU AND WHY?

A: One of my favorite classes at the high school that I have taken all 4 years would be orchestra. I have had my ups and downs and remember wanting to quit at times, but I always had such an amazing feeling when I would play at concerts. It was a sense that this was something bigger than me, but so amazing to hear how all the sounds come together to create a beautiful piece. At the concerts I feel as if I freeze in time and I try to soak up every second I can. I would like to thank Dr. Gopal for being such an incredible teacher and pushing me every day whether he knew it or not. He is always smiling no matter what the situation, has an amazing attitude and genuinely makes learning fun.

Q: WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS AFTER GRADUATION?

A: After graduation I plan on attending Rutgers University for landscape architecture or civil engineering. I will continue to volunteer with Brookview Volunteer Fire Department and possibly find a fire department near campus to join as well. And most important thing, I plan on living life to the fullest. I want to explore, travel and find ways to help others. You only live once and our time here is short, why waste it?