Mr.Brodman’s animated AP IPLE class

“Alright let’s get started,” Mr. Brodman says, and the class immediately focuses their attention on the front desk.

The class is attentive while Mr.Brodman explains a trip the the Constitution Center.

Clara Deguerre, BearHub Staff

Mr.Brodman’s period 12 AP political debate class files noisily into L7. 

“Good afternoon Mr.Brodman,” 

“Mr. Brodman guess what?”

“Mr.Brodman I have a question…”  Twelve high-energy seniors talk over each other, ready to learn though the bell has not even rung.

“Mr.Brodman, I’m trying to understand which amendment is the most important,” Nimai Sanikopp says with sincere curiosity.

“Well, all amendments are important, however,the first–”

“The second one is important too though,” Kishan Dalal interrupts. 

This is AP IPLE. Loud communication, disagreement, and hardly any agreement. These students come in ready to talk about the flaws of the constitution, whether they believe President Trump’s policy on trade is a disaster or not, and (more relevantly) who has the best shot at winning the 2020 presidential election. The students won’t even let Mr.Brodman finish a sentence without rebutting it or responding somehow. 

While many AP classes have a rigorous curriculum, focusing on a specific subject and or skill, this class is not like any other advanced placement class. IPLE is all about communication and using a plethora of skills that a student has acquired from several subjects including: history, politics, current events and public speaking. The statements, observations, conclusions they make all come from their knowledge of these subjects.

Mr.Brodman explained a trip to the constitution center. Sia Mukhi, a senior at the high school called out, “But my AP art history class has a trip that day.” It is very likely that the information she acquires from art history will come into play in IPLE because students in IPLE class have various skills which at expected and unexpected times, come to play within the class. 

The students are complete nerds for politics, which is a given because they took the class in the first place; however, they absolutely top nerdom. When Mr.Brodman announced a trip to the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia, students jumped out of their seats and the room broke out into “ooohs” and “ahhhs.” Even Mr.Brodman recognized their excessive excitement and said, “Guys, it’s just a trip to the Constitution Center, that’s it.”

One might think that an AP politics class would only include lectures and extensive information about topics that are uninteresting ; however, there is a more fun, energetic and even playful aspect of the class. Students take what they learn outside of class, and even outside of school, and bring it into the hectic, yet exciting environment of the IPLE classroom.