The Living Yearbook of East Brunswick High School

EBHS Bear Hub

EBHS Bear Hub

EBHS Bear Hub

Polls

Do you think homeroom is making an impact on school spirit?

• Yes, because I feel pressured to participate to not let my homeroom down. (6%, 2 Votes)
  • Yes, I love seeing my homeroom and planning spirit stuff together. (24%, 8 Votes)
  • I don't know about school spirit, but I know I want COOKIES (21%, 7 Votes)
  • I have infiltrated an alternate homeroom where I indeed am quite spirited. (3%, 1 Votes)
  • I was asleep in homeroom so I don't know.... (47%, 16 Votes)

Total Voters: 30

Loading ... Loading ...

Why does the 1200s hall smell so good?

Hint: It’s not related to the Cafeteria
Joy+Fouad+%2812%29+sends+her+groups+cookie+dough+into+the+oven+for+baking.+
Joy Fouad (12) sends her group’s cookie dough into the oven for baking.

If you’ve ever passed by the arts hallway, the 1200s, you might have caught a whiff of vanilla extract drifting through the air, increasing your hunger and need for lunch to come quicker than ever. When you pass by, you might hear pots and pans clatter, students shuffling amongst each other and laughing as they diligently measure dry ingredients into one bowl and wet ingredients into another. Perhaps these sounds and smells take you back to your family consumer science cycle in Hammarskjold Middle School or perhaps they remind you of waking up at 9am on a Saturday, or they may even bring you all the way to room 1202 for Culinary Arts with Ms. Greenberg.

Since it’s only the beginning of the year, the students are just starting off their culinary journey with simple bakes. Last week, they made chocolate chip cookies. They learned how to cream butter and sugar together for the base of almost any cookie ever. They got to use pure elbow grease in mixing and folding together wet ingredients into dry and measuring out the perfect sized scoop for the perfect sized cookie.

It’s only been one month into the school year, leaving quite a lot of room for improvement and more learning to come, however, senior Malak Elnaggar reveals that “it’s not as hard as I thought it would be, the hardest part is like measuring ingredients because there’s specific ways to measure everything so you have to be careful with that.” Other students, like senior Farwa Faisal say that the class “is just as easy as I thought. I’m glad I took it though ‘cause my other classes are harder.” Since, again, it’s only the beginning, the most you might catch a drift of as you walk by is vanilla extract, but later into the year, who knows what they’ll be making? All we know is that they’ll be hard at work, learning new things.