The Living Yearbook of East Brunswick High School

April Showers, Team Power!

The girl's track team's success at their first invitational of the season, despite the rain cutting the meet short.

April 25, 2023

Sophomores Grace Smutko, Hannah Oranchak, Maddy Sauvigne and Freshman Allison Zeichner warmup up for their 1600 minutes before the meet was canceled.

Kicking off their season with a bang–literally from the thunder, the Bear’s track and field team hosted their annual East Brunswick invitational on the 15th. Breaking in their new spikes, the girls were able to find success, despite the meeting being cut short due to some shaky weather. The morning brought some light showers, but by 10 the sky cleared up, with the sun beating down on the runners as they gave their best effort. However, this beautiful weather was just a tease, as soon the skies turned back to gray, and in the middle of a race the first clap of thunder sent around 2000 athletes from all over the state, into the high school to wait out mother nature.

Learn more about the girls’ track season so far!

To focus on the positives, the 400-meter Hurdles relay placed 6th overall, with Freshman Samantha Arevalo, Persis Garg, and Sophomore Mahima Pai all setting new Personal Records. The Girls varsity 4×800 placed 5th, and then following that, the Novice 4×800 took 6th. The girls in the Shuttle Hurdle relays took 3rd beating out rivals South Brunswick. The triple jump relay placed 5th with Anastasiya Kalinkina placing 8th overall and the High jump relay placed 2nd with Anna Sawicki placing 3rd overall. Ariana McSweeney also placed 1st for pole vault. This success only accounts for the first half of the meet, and if it hadn’t been for the rumbling of the thunder, this list would be much longer. With still the entire season in front of them, the future is looking bright for the EBHS girls track team, and success will keep on coming around.

Behind the scenes athletes work with each other and celebrate accomplishments ultimately creating life-lasting bonds. Senior Ariana D’Onofrio recalls the “positive attitudes and cheers both at practice and during races” from her teammates that have helped her find more success and power through both mentally and physically tough times. Having teammates that support and encourage you are crucial to being successful at track, and this is no challenge for the Girls track team!