Accomplished Athlete: An Interview with Vinny Taormina

Vinny Taormina, 12, celebrates his accomplishments as both a student and a track athlete.

Weilin Chu

Senior Vinny Taormina flashes a proud smile as he holds his track spikes in one hand and a medal in another.

Asmee Shitoley, Bear Hub Staff

Q: WHAT EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITY MEANS THE MOST TO YOU? 

A: Being a part of the East Brunswick track team has been more than meaningful. It’s like a family and everyone pushes me to do my best.

Q: WHAT ACCOMPLISHMENT ARE YOU MOST PROUD OF AND WHY? 

A: The biggest accomplishment was hearing back that I made it into college. Just knowing that people believed in me enough to accomplish such a big goal made me proud of not only myself, but also of the community I’ve built throughout the years.

Q: WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR FAVORITE PART OF BEING A STUDENT AT EBHS?

A: My favorite part of being a student at EBHS was being a part of the mentorship program. This program allowed me to meet a new teacher and build great bonds. Having a mentor to look up to or gain valuable advice from was a crucial support system that helped me throughout high school.

Q: HAS THERE BEEN A SINGLE CLASS YOU HAVE TAKEN THAT HAS BEEN THE MOST INFLUENTIAL TO YOU AND WHY?

A: I would say the most influential class is Humanities. Many students take the class lightly, but now after taking the class, I learned that humanities was different because it taught me about myself. The sociology part of humanities and being taught about why humans do what they do is mind-blowing and piqued my interest. I was able to take a better look at what I value, enjoy, and want to incorporate into my life.