New Face of Journalism: An Interview with Alefiya Presswala

Alefiya Presswala talks about her experiences here at EBHS and her goals to be an investigative journalist in the future.

Senior Alefiya Presswala says: “I’m really proud of anything that has to do with my writing. One of my biggest accomplishments that means a lot to me is having three short stories published in anthologies.”

Derek Maniquiz, Bear Hub Staff

Q: WHAT EXTRACURRICUALAR ACTIVITY MEANS THE MOST TO YOU?

A:  During my junior year, I co-founded a digital magazine called the Post Scriptum Project as a way for Asian people to express themselves about their identities and cultures through art, writing, photography, interviews, etc. It’s been really special because it’s helped me be more proud of my heritage as well.

Q: WHAT ACCOMPLISHMENTS ARE YOU MOST PROUD OF AND WHY?

A: Honestly, I’m really proud of anything that has to do with my writing. One of my biggest accomplishments that means a lot to me is having three short stories published in anthologies that are on sale on Amazon.

Q: WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR FAVORITE PART OF BEING A STUDENT AT EBHS?

A: I love all the different, diverse clubs we’re able to join and all the different events we can go to. I feel like there’s something for every interest at EBHS, and I’ve been able to learn so many different things because of it.

Q: WHAT’S ONE OBSTACLE YOU HAVE OVERCOME DURING YOUR TIME AT EBHS AND WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR AFTER GRADUATION?

A: I don’t really think I’ve faced any major obstacles during my time at EBHS besides COVID and virtual learning. I first moved here in 7th grade, so it took a year or two to adjust to being in a new town, but EBHS has treated me pretty well. My plan is to study journalism and creative writing in college and then become an investigative journalist after that. I’d like to travel a lot as well.