Coping with the Distraction During Remote Learning

“Home is comforting, and when you get too comfortable you get distracted.”

Mohammed Ali Alkhafaji, Bear Hub Staff

Virtual learning provides the benefit for students to learn within the sanctity and privacy of their homes. While it is nice, it comes at the expense of uninterrupted learning. In the current year, most teenagers own devices which can be used to access a plethora of more interesting activities. These can disrupt online classes as a student would be more inclined to turn off their camera, mute their microphone, and do another activity while tuning out of class. To many, they find school boring, and would much rather play games, listen to music, or maybe even text their friends.

One EBHS sophomore, who wishes to remain anonymous, says that “The nature of some of my classes clash with the virtual aspect of online learning .” The student expresses that sometimes he can get very lost in the more hands-on courses. In the confusion, he gives up on trying to understand, so he just goes on his phone. He states that “Home is comforting, and when you get too comfortable you get distracted. Just random things to occupy myself instead of listening.”

A junior girl reports that when learning online and staring at a screen “sometimes the class gets very long and boring, while in a normal class setting you talk [more frequently] to the person next to you or talk in groups.” It is a tremendous task to keep youthful teenagers invested and engaged in a class when they have numerous other activities to distract them at home.   Students and teachers will work to overcome this together despite the obstacles.