October 2nd 2019: Interest Meeting of the Year

What makes this interest meeting for Student Council special, is the amount of enthusiasm the newcomers have. Their bright personalities make the meeting exciting, intriguing, and fun. 

+Newcomers+watch+attentively+as+president+Joy+Elasmar%2C12%2C+begins+the+meeting+with+a+powerpoint+presentation.+Dates%2C+deadlines%2C+and+events+are+all+included+in+the+presentation%2C+which+help+to+inform+newcomers+about+what%E2%80%99s+going+on+in+the+club.%0A%0A

Newcomers watch attentively as president Joy Elasmar,12, begins the meeting with a powerpoint presentation. Dates, deadlines, and events are all included in the presentation, which help to inform newcomers about what’s going on in the club.

Clara Deguerre, BearHub Staff

Joy Elasmar, president of Student Council, announces “Excuse me, please listen up” begging for the attention of the 50 mouths moving, and bodies shuffling in their seats. Kids sit at the edge of their swivel chairs, nervous and excited for the presentation to start. Several students linger around the sides and back of the room; seating is scarce. 

“Alright let’s get started,” Mrs. Benkard, an administrator for the club, claps her hands and instantly the room is silent.

“Spirit week is coming up. Do we have any suggestions for the week of October 21-25?,” Joy asks. Every single hand shoots up.

The interest meeting for any club is almost always hectic, crowded, and noisy. The exec board is trying to get the last of their notes together, the interested students are excited and nervous to hear about the club requirements and agenda. Hiccups are inevitable at the first meeting. However, what makes this interest meeting for Student Council special, is the amount of enthusiasm the newcomers have. Their bright personalities make the meeting exciting, intriguing, and fun. 

“Oooh we need to do Tik Tok day, how dope would that be?” junior Jen Agli says.

“Nooo, sports jersey day would be even more dope,” a sophomore soccer player jumps out of his seat.

“Woah woah woah. I think we can all agree that Hawaiian day needs to be on the schedule,” Ahmed Shamma, a junior claims. Not only were the students enthusiastic about spirit week, however, when vice president, Alexandria Simos, asked if anyone would be interested in filming a video for the morning announcements, over twenty students signed up to do so.

“This excitement really foreshadows the rest of the school year for student council,” president Joy Elasmar shares. “Me and the rest of the exec board are so excited for what’s to come in the club.”

The club is ecstatic about the outcome of their interest meeting, and hopes to see more students join in the future.