The Living Yearbook of East Brunswick High School

EBHS Bear Hub

EBHS Bear Hub

EBHS Bear Hub

Polls

Do you think homeroom is making an impact on school spirit?

• I don't know about school spirit, but I know I want COOKIES (21%, 7 Votes)
  • Yes, I love seeing my homeroom and planning spirit stuff together. (24%, 8 Votes)
  • I have infiltrated an alternate homeroom where I indeed am quite spirited. (3%, 1 Votes)
  • I was asleep in homeroom so I don't know.... (47%, 16 Votes)
  • Yes, because I feel pressured to participate to not let my homeroom down. (6%, 2 Votes)

Total Voters: 30

Loading ... Loading ...

A Safe Space For Students

Mental health Resources offered at East Brunswick High School
East+Brunswick+Guidance+Counselor+Ms.+Nelson+
East Brunswick Guidance Counselor Ms. Nelson

In East Brunswick High School there are an array of resources that are made available to students. From clubs that help students connect with others with similar interests, sports which help students learn about teamwork and self-discipline, and so much more, EBHS students have unlimited opportunities to explore what appeals to them. But one thing that stands out about our high school is the mental health resources they offer. Having good mental health is very important in leading a happy, successful life and it plays a huge role in a person’s behavior and personality. Guidance is a great example of one of the many mental health resources our school has to offer.

Posters adorn the hallways outside of the counseling office with information about college open house dates.

Ms. Nelson, a counselor at East Brunswick High School, works to build relationships with students. Not only does Ms. Nelson discuss grades and student achievement, but she wants to show her students that they have a safe space. By being “visible” and “involved”, she works to build connections with her students through her involvement in many clubs and programs. Ms. Nelson is part of the Class Council, Sources of Strength, Peer Leader Program, & she’s an assistant coach. Through branching out and being involved with many of the clubs open to the students, she finds that it, “is great to get to know everyone, outside of just, ‘let’s talk about grades.’” She works to build meaningful and helpful relationships   with her students.

Students pass by a display for fallen heroes as they approach the Counseling Office.

Ms. Nelson has always known the kind of field she wanted to pursue. She “felt that [she] wanted to be in a helping profession”. It was always her dream to go into a field that worked directly with people – she is a people person. Going into college she was undecided, but she always found herself taking electives about psychology and sociology. These courses helped spark her passion, and they were what led her to become a Guidance Counselor. Ms. Nelson has now been a guidance counselor for nine years, and hopes to show the new sophomores this year the true purpose of guidance and to provide a safe space for students.