Finishing an Unforgettable Season

“Our own beloved Alma Mater, East Brunswick High all hail to you!”

Captains Matthew Gonzalez, 12, and Matthew Tiongko, 12, lead the team as they race through the EBHS course. This meet, on October 1 against Monroe, was the season’s first.

Kal Pandit, Bear Hub Staff

The boys cross country team–and coaches Jeffrey Sundberg and John Schendel–gather for a team photo.

On the bus rides home after away meets, the boys cross country team stands up for a team tradition: singing the alma mater as their bus comes into EBHS. Athletes bang the top of the bus and erupt into cheers at the end.

This is but one example of the team’s dedication and camaraderie, the same qualities that have led these boys to a standout season.

Yet, the journey here hasn’t been an easy one. It has required lots of dedication and leadership–from the team captains to the newest freshmen.

It was also challenging for athletes to prepare themselves for the season: the critical “base phase” of summer training was upended by virtual workouts and a canceled spring season. However, the team has prevailed through adversity before–from hills and heat to cramps and cold weather.

This season was no different: EB’s boys cross country runners prevailed once again.

The “top seven” varsity athletes, for instance, have emerged into a top-nine team in New Jersey. During Sectional Championships at Thompson Park in Monroe, they placed a close second to South Brunswick and beat long-time rival Old Bridge. That performance earned them a coveted spot at the Holmdel Invitational.

And the team’s JV runners have stood out as well: the top seven runners placed second overall at the JV State Championship, while 12 EB runners placed amongst the top 19 in the open JV race.

Even though this season was shortened and socially distanced, it was still successful and memorable. As senior and captain Matt Gonzalez shares: “Running was a magnificent experience and we made the best of it.”