A Legacy Left in Eataly

“IHS is a big club…[and] having [the Emily Fredrick’s Foundation] acknowledge us and sponsor a trip is truly wholesome and amazing.” – Senior and co-president of Italian Honor Society, Thomas Russo

The+IHS+board+and+additional+seniors+pose+in+front+of+the+entrance+to+Eataly+alongside+the+Fredricks.+

The IHS board and additional seniors pose in front of the entrance to Eataly alongside the Fredricks.

Caroline Serpico, Bear Hub Staff

On a snowy December morning, the students of the Italian Honor Society embark on their widely anticipated field trip into Downtown Manhattan’s Eataly, an Italian marketplace and restaurant.  What would usually be a traditional trip for students who study the Italian language at EBHS, proved to be much more than that; this trip honors the past and present legacy of Emily Fredricks.

Emily Fredricks, an East Brunswick High School alumna, tragically lost her life two years ago after being hit by a truck while riding her bike to work. Fredricks studied culinary arts at Johnson and Wales University, and worked as a pastry chef in Philadelphia at the time of her death; she had a true passion for exploring world cultures and cuisine. Since then, her parents Laura and Richard built the Emily Fredricks Foundation, “to provide resources so that individuals and groups can reach their creative potential in the Arts and to promote education and knowledge through travel experiences,” just as their daughter dedicated her time. The family so generously sponsored the Eataly trip for the IHS board and senior members.

Eataly Tour Guide, Emily, educates the group on the complexities of authentic Italian olive oil.

The opportunity to expand their knowledge of Italian culture and cuisine at the largest Italian food market in the world and carry on Emily’s legacy is an extremely cherished memory by the honor society. Senior and co-president of IHS, Thomas Russo, shares the impact Emily has left on the group: “IHS is a big club…[and] having [the Emily Fredrick’s Foundation] acknowledge us and sponsor a trip is truly wholesome and amazing.  As co-president, I am so beyond humbled that they took the time and money to be a part of this amazing day. They are truly spectacular people and [IHS] thanks them for their generosity.”

Emily can continue to share her passion and touch the lives of so many other students through the incredible work of her parents and the foundation. 

To learn more about the life of Emily Fredricks and their mission, visit https://www.emilyfredricksfoundation.org/