The Living Yearbook of East Brunswick High School

EBHS Bear Hub

EBHS Bear Hub

EBHS Bear Hub

Polls

Do you think homeroom is making an impact on school spirit?

• Yes, because I feel pressured to participate to not let my homeroom down. (6%, 2 Votes)
  • I have infiltrated an alternate homeroom where I indeed am quite spirited. (3%, 1 Votes)
  • Yes, I love seeing my homeroom and planning spirit stuff together. (24%, 8 Votes)
  • I don't know about school spirit, but I know I want COOKIES (21%, 7 Votes)
  • I was asleep in homeroom so I don't know.... (47%, 16 Votes)

Total Voters: 30

Loading ... Loading ...

English Enhancements; the key to a perfect ‘academic’ environment

Discover Ms. Murray’s secrets to creating an engaging, interactive, and motivating environment in high school English class.
Ms. Murray reading ‘The Narrow Thieves’ by Cherie Dimaline.

“You’re on the right path!” Positive phrases like this are one of the best ways to encourage and motivate people in all environments. English teacher Ms. Murray at EBHS frequently uses positive phrases and feedback to motivate her students and encourage participation. In addition to her positivity strategy, she uses various other strategies to engage her students such as catering to student interests, providing choices, encouraging group work, and maintaining an energetic attitude.

Ms. Murray helping Joshua Hines (10), with a reading assignment.

Ms. Murray also specifically noted bribery as a successful method to increase student participation, jokingly and truthfully stating that “lollipops go a long way.” As students, we can all confess that being bribed with candy pushes us to participate more than anything, even good grades.
In addition to candy bribery, she has another trick up her sleeve which is making things “that are academic not seem as academic” by disguising them as something more fun and interactive.

Considering these factors, Ms. Murray is successful in her attempts to spread energy and enjoyment. Her success is also proven by the fact that her students described the environment of the class as interesting and energetic and they enjoyed the class activities they have done so far.
When asked what their favorite activity or memory from class was, they enthusiastically explained a class bonding activity in which they wrote and connected things about themselves. One of the students provided the example of connecting “liking the beach and liking swimming.” Ms. Murray frequently implements engaging and enjoyable activities like this one which promote class-bonding.

Ms. Murray’s class’ artwork in their class bonding activity.

All of these components prove that Ms. Murray’s English class is a lot more than comprehension and grammar. The engaging, interactive environment she creates proves that there is true value in disguising an academic subject as an entertaining activity which meets the high standards of high schoolers.