EBHS Sports Highlights

EBHS’ top athletes of the 2021-2022 sports season.

Rebecca Post, Bear Hub Staff

EBHS athletes have always worked hard and played even harder, but this year was one like no other. Records were broken, ranks were higher than ever, and victories were present all around.

Karina Munoz:

All around gymnastics state champion Karina Munoz made history this year by leading her team to their first state championship ever. Awarded gymnast of the year for the second year in a row, Karina won four gold medals at states and she holds the two highest scores in the floor event for the year. This Fall, the senior will be continuing her gymnastics career at The University of Iowa. Karina explains how she’s “dreamed about being a part of a college team since [she] was little.” With an exciting college career ahead, Karina looks back on her high school career, saying “what I’m truly grateful for is all the life lessons I’ve learned along the way, since it’s what has molded me into the person I am today.”

Senior Karina Munoz stretches and warms up before competing.

Mackenzie Keane:

Senior Mackenzie Keane got “everything that [she] ever wanted” after being crowned the NJSIAA individual champion in girls bowling. Ever since she was a kid, she dreamed of this moment and explains how being “able to end [her] senior season that way was exactly the way every athlete dreams of ending their high school career.” The bowler ended her high school career with an impressive score of 258 along with seven consecutive strikes in the state finals and she plans to continue her career this fall at Saint Francis University. When asked about what she will miss most about her time bowling at EBHS, she responds by saying, “the thing I will miss most will be the team and my coaches. As always, GO BEARS!”

Mackenzie Keane, 12, finishes an impressive throw strong.

Katie Ryan:

Very early in her high school career, sophomore Katie Ryan became the holder of a new school record in the 50 free at the A-Final in the Meet of Champions. Katie expresses how at the meet she “was overjoyed to look at the scoreboard and see that [she] not only broke the record, but achieved a personal best” which “was a feeling [she] will never forget!” Breaking a school record as a sophomore is an impressive feat, and throughout this season, Katie has learned a lot about her skills as a swimmer: “Something that I have learned about my skill set is that swim is a very mental sport. Some of the practices are harder than others, but being mentally strong can lead you through any practice.” By having a strong mental outlook on the sport, she was able to accomplish her goal of breaking the record for the 50 free. While Katie is only a sophomore, she has already become a household name in EBHS girls swimming.

Katie Ryan, 10, swims her way to victory in the 50 free.

Chris Serrao:

Ranked #1 in the state and #5 in the country, senior hurdler Chris Serrao makes East Brunswick history with his performance in the 55 meter hurdles. He explains how “The feeling was unimaginable” and “After the race, I had a feeling I took over the #1 spot but to hear the time over the loudspeaker made it even more surreal.” With such an impressive accomplishment, Chris explains how while people think being successful in track is easy, in reality it is not: “Visualizing your perfect race, and perfecting your form day after day in practice while also gaining speed each day all are needed to become a better runner.” Chris will be continuing his track career at Rutgers University, and although his high school run is ending, his track career is only beginning.

Senior Chris Serrao runs the 55 meter hurdles.

East Brunswick has always been home to talented athletes and winning sports teams. But this year, these four athletes stood out and proved that with hard work and determination, you can achieve any goal.