A Life Full of Fun and Fitness: an Interview with Mr. Motusesky

East Brunswick High School would not be complete without Mr. Motusesky’s smiling face in gym class everyday.

Celia Schmeidler

“To get the opportunity to be able to now coach and teach here is awesome cause everything’s so familiar for me. There’s such great people in town. I’m just glad that I’ve been lucky enough to now have my profession here and be able to teach the kids where I learned so much back in high school days and elementary days.” – Mr. Motusesky

Celia Schmeidler, Bear Hub Staff

An East Brunswick native, gym teacher Mr. Motusesky has continued to teach and inspire students in and out of the gymnasium. Throughout 25 years of teaching, Mr. Motusesky has been a friendly face around the community. He spent 10 years at the elementary level and now 15 years and counting at the high school level, currently coaching both Boys Varsity Basketball and Girls Varsity Golf.

Q: WHAT ATTRACTED YOU TO THE PHYS ED DEPARTMENT?
A: I always wanted to coach and teach so I was lucky enough to get my phys ed degree and my health degree and I was lucky enough to stay in this building and teach at the high school and now I’m working with such great teachers here at the high school. The phys ed staff is awesome, I’ve known many of them for many years and they all really care about the kids and they care about making East Brunswick successful.

Q: WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE UNIT TO TEACH IN GYM?
A: My favorite unit to teach is badminton. I think a lot of people like to play it. I think it’s a life-long game you can play, you know, all the way up into your later years. I think it’s very fun and competitive and I just like teaching it. You know there’s so many skills you can teach. I think it’s just a real fun game to teach.

Q: WHAT MADE YOU WANT TO BECOME A BASKETBALL AND GOLF COACH?
A: Well I grew up playing basketball, I have three older brothers. We were all very competitive at basketball so I played through High School and almost played in college. But then I started coaching in my 20s, so I’ve always stayed involved in Basketball and it’s just part of my life now. And I’ve been golfing since my youth too. I’ve always been a big fan of golf and I actually played golf in high school as well so I just thought it’d be a good fit to become the golf coach and I love that too. It’s just totally different than basketball but once again it’s just great to be around such great girls every year and we’re very competitive and it’s just fun to play golf and be around the kids.

Q: WHAT DO YOU BELIEVE MAKES PHYSICAL EDUCATION SUCH AN IMPORTANT CLASS, ESPECIALLY FOR HIGH SCHOOLERS?
A: Well I think there’s just so many distractions for high school students and their schedules are so busy they don’t find time to get involved in exercise. We’re obviously a proponent of that [as gym teachers] and want to try to make sure we teach them to find time to stay on top of their fitness. It’s easy to lose that connection to fitness, especially when you start to get to college and work. You have to make sure you manage your time best, and [as gym teachers] we wanna make sure that’s a priority, and lifelong fitness is obviously something we want for all of us.

Mr. Motusesky loves getting the opportunity to coach and teach in the place where he grew up and the high school that he graduated from. There are few as familiar with East Brunswick as he is and it is hard to imagine gym class without him there, supporting every student throughout each of the whole 82 minute periods.