I Progetti Italiani e Virtuali: An Interview with Signora Spagnuolo

Through twenty one years and five schools, Signora Spagnuolo has retained her passion for both teaching and being Italian. But with schools being virtual, all of her classes have needed to make some adjustments in the projects that they’re doing.

Signora Spagnuolo with her Canvas dashboard, showing off the icons of the classes she teaches: AP Italian, Italian V, and Italian VI.

Jaiden Radoczy, Bear Hub Staff

Q: HAS THERE BEEN ANYTHING ABOUT THE PROJECTS THAT IS EASIER BECAUSE IT’S VIRTUAL?
A:
Well I am finding this book project is actually easier. If you guys had been in school, I would have made you do the traditional book. So to me, when you hold a book in your hand, there is that satisfaction of that. This is nice, and it is definitely easier because you don’t have to illustrate, you can delete text. See how I am coming on your books and I’m editing it right there. You can’t do that with an actual book.

Q: WHAT ARE SOME PROJECTS YOU’RE DOING IN YOUR OTHER CLASSES?
A:
Yeah, so with VI honors, we actually just finished a really fun project. We did kinda like a unit on news, like news media, newspaper, news telegiornale which is like TV news, so they just put together newscasts. Another project that we did in VI honors, what I had them do was because the film is a silent film, they used canvas studio to do a voiceover. And so they added dialogue to the film and they did this all virtually.

Q: IF YOU WERE TO MAKE A BOOK LIKE THIS, WHAT WOULD IT BE ABOUT?
A:
I’ve helped so many kids with their books that I never thought about if I were to make a book, what characters would I make. Well, I love penguins, pinguini, they are my favorite animals. Because I just think they are adorable. So it would probably be a story about penguins, and it would probably be a story about being kind to others because I think that’s the most important thing in life, is to just be kind and respectful toward others.

Switching to virtual isn’t easy, but with both the struggles and the successes, Signora Spagnuolo is continuing to teach her students Italian in a fun and exciting way.