The COVID in the Rye: An Interview with Mr. McKibbin

Mohammed Ali Alkhafaji, Bear Hub Staff

As teenagers make their way through high school, they learn many life lessons which will shape them into adults. Lots of high schoolers find themselves resonating with themes learned by Holden Caulfield of The Catcher in the Rye. Renowned for its themes about adolescence and growing up, it’s the perfect fit for today’s teens, especially now as the pandemic lifestyle has raised angst among many youth. Mr.McKibbin, an English teacher here at EBHS, really stresses the importance of Catcher’s themes. Here is what he answered when Bear Hub interviewed him about the themes of The Catcher in the Rye.

Q: WHY DO YOU FEEL IT’S IMPORTANT FOR US TEENAGERS TO READ THE CATCHER IN THE RYE TODAY?

A: I tell every class this; It helps you to understand when you’re going through tough times in life, you need to battle through them. I always tell at the end, every person goes through a Holden Caulfield phase in their life. Perhaps for your age, it could be now. Living in a pandemic is certainly something very challenging and something we’re all very unaccustomed to. So knowing that you’re going through that phase and understanding it might help you to get through it easier.

Q: WHEN WAS YOUR HOLDEN CAULFIELD MOMENT?

A: After college, not knowing what I wanted to do and not knowing where to go with my life, which is why I went back to school and got my teaching certification, because I didn’t have it in college, I didn’t know that I wanted to teach when I graduated college. I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do at all, so that can be a scary time. The theme I’ve often embraced with Holden is being alone and being out on your own. I’ve been married for 10 years and I have 3 kids so that’s something I don’t experience anymore, but I often enjoy being alone and being out on my own.

Mr. McKibbin goes on a carousel ride with his daughter, like how Holden does in the last scene of the book. As a parent, Mr.McKibbin knows that a part of growing up is that children fall down sometimes, and nothing can stop that, even though it may be difficult.

Q: HOW DOES THE PANDEMIC REMIND US OF CATCHER‘S THEMES?

A: Well Holden wants to be isolated, and he does lots of things to alienate himself from the people that know him. For us it’s tough because we’re kind of forced into it, while he wants that, many of us don’t want isolation. Because of the pandemic, we need coping mechanisms to help deal with it, just like Holden has to learn, and we don’t know if he’s gonna learn because at the end he’s not sure whether he’s going to figure out how to cope with his sadness and his struggles, and move on with his life.

The Catcher in the Rye has very important themes and life lessons that apply to teenagers. From it, we can relate to the isolation that Holden experiences, as we’re stuck at home. As we move on with our lives and fight past these current struggles, we must never forget the messages hidden within Catcher.