Country Music? Yes or No?

It’s a beautiful summer day and you’re listening to music as the wind blows through. Your friends are in the back seat and one of them asks for the aux cord. Once they get the cord you expect them to start playing some throwback jams but they start to play… country music?

Trinity McDonald, Bear Hub Staff

It’s a beautiful summer day and you’re listening to music as the wind blows through. Your friends are in the back seat and one of them asks for the aux cord. Once they get the cord you expect them to start playing some throwback jams but they start to play… country music? Country music is a weird thing in today’s society, you either love it or hate it. The acoustic sound of the guitar and that country drawl might sound appealing to some people, but other people are more into techno music. Back in 2019 Old Town Road by Lil Nas X and Billy Ray Cyrus was the number one song for 17 weeks. Now it has over 72.5 million streams and it was played on the radio 7,200 thousand times. Others speculate that all country songs are all about the same three things, drinking, girls and their trucks/tractors. Whether you personally love it or can’t stand it, it doesn’t change the fact that it is one of the most popular genres in today’s society (America’s Favorite Genres).

EBHS Bear Hub asked 118 people their opinion on country music. The responses were surprising. The biggest two responses were both extremes. The responses indicated 28 people said “Heck Yeah” and 39 people said they “I hate it with my entire soul.” Now that is pretty extreme, although not extreme enough for junior Nancy Moawed, who explains, “I need something more mean than ‘I hate it with my entire soul.” Something tells me she doesn’t enjoy country music.

18 voters said they like just one country song. Sophomore Clara Tadrous asks “Can ‘Meant to Be’ by Bebe Rexha be considered a country song?” It seems as though the people who like one song like the songs that are more pop country than the old fashioned country.  Even though some people may like it and some may not, it does not change the fact that music is something adored by many.