Holiday Music in the Halls: A Return to Tradition

“It’s awesome to see everyone gather around to see our award winning orchestra and our chorus and join in on the holiday fun.”

Publisher's Workshop, Collaborative Article

The excited chattering of students filled B-hall as Concert Choir set up around the railing and began to serenade the students of EBHS. The voices and echoes heard from afar were like a calling for the audience, pulling everyone from their classrooms and closer to the voices. Students from upstairs and downstairs come together to enjoy the performance.

Mr. Good and the chorus gathered around the top of the rotunda in B hall while Dr. Gopal and orchestra students set up in A Hall outside the main office. One B-Hall sophomore peered through the crowd and was overheard asking a friend, “What is this? Is this the English classes? Serious question…” This time-honored tradition of filling the halls with holiday music during the final class period before winter break felt new for sophomores and seniors alike this year.

It was unexpected to be brought to a joined group of amazing singers that brought us to the reality of break occurring just a couple minutes away. They emphasized their presence with clapping, hand choreography, and projected but controlled voices. This musical tradition hasn’t happened since 2019 and there was a palpable feeling in the crowd that it was so nice to all come together again for the arts in such a fun and traditional way. Bear Hub asked Dr. Vinella how it felt to enjoy this tradition once again in person.  He said, “It’s awesome to see everyone gather around to see our award winning orchestra and our chorus and join in on the holiday fun.”

The collective harmony of the Chamber Orchestra’s strings was almost like being transported to a different, dramatic world. According to one student, “It was almost like we weren’t even students standing in a hallway anymore, we were more.”