The Living Yearbook of East Brunswick High School

EBHS Bear Hub

EBHS Bear Hub

EBHS Bear Hub

Polls

Do you think homeroom is making an impact on school spirit?

• I was asleep in homeroom so I don't know.... (47%, 16 Votes)
  • Yes, I love seeing my homeroom and planning spirit stuff together. (24%, 8 Votes)
  • I have infiltrated an alternate homeroom where I indeed am quite spirited. (3%, 1 Votes)
  • I don't know about school spirit, but I know I want COOKIES (21%, 7 Votes)
  • Yes, because I feel pressured to participate to not let my homeroom down. (6%, 2 Votes)

Total Voters: 30

Loading ... Loading ...

Running with Heart and Passion Through the Finish Line

Discover how the EB girls cross country team makes running a fun and exciting team event.
    The varsity girls at the Sectionals meet at which they placed 2nd. Left to right: Allison Zeichner (10), Maddy Sauvigne (11), Hannah Oranchak (11), Valerie Malishuk (12), Ramya Chandra (10)

The girls cross country team makes running a team sport. The team is lively and has a comforting, encouraging environment, thanks to the new coach this season, Coach Harnett.

“The determination of Coach Harnett was amazing. He cared for his team like they were his own children” by taking the time to check in with each runner and teams’ message words of encouragement before a race, said junior varsity runner Hannah Oranchak. Harnett was there for the girls throughout all the ups and downs of the season and always had an optimistic attitude.

Eventually, he led the team to a culminating victory. He proudly revealed that the team “went from 6th to 3rd at the division championships and…had not been at the medal stand since 2016.” In addition, the team placed first overall at the St. Dominic’s Invitational. Harnett is “very proud of how hard the girls worked this season” and is confident in the team’s ability to move past the sectional round onto the Group 4 championship next year.

This victory was only possible because of the girls’ hard work and dedication. They were not only just led by Coach Harnett, but also led by team captains, Hannah Oranchak and Maddy Sauvigne. As captains, Oranchak stated that she and Sauvigne strive to “create an unbreakable bond that encourages and motivates [everyone] everyday”. Senior varsity runner Valerie Malishuk echoed Oranchak’s words that the girls “prioritize motivating each other and pushing each other to do [their] best. [They also] create a supportive atmosphere where everyone feels welcome and meaningful” to the team.

The girls trained hard everyday of the season and gave it their all, whether it was during workouts, long runs, or races. There is a lot of pressure on the girls because cross country is an individual sport and the team’s score is dependent on individual race results. However, the pressure and challenges actually proved to be beneficial because they allowed the girls to “get better as a team, not only in [their] ability to run, but [to become] closer to each other and more motivated” to have an amazing season, senior varsity runner Amaya Zorrilla proudly stated.

Ultimately, the EB girls cross country team is about more than winning races. It is about forming a team bond and being able to create a positive, motivating atmosphere where everyone feels meaningful. Through these qualities, the team transforms running from a stressful individual sport into an enjoyable and fun team sport.