The Living Yearbook of East Brunswick High School

EBHS Bear Hub

EBHS Bear Hub

EBHS Bear Hub

Polls

Do you think homeroom is making an impact on school spirit?

• I have infiltrated an alternate homeroom where I indeed am quite spirited. (3%, 1 Votes)
  • I was asleep in homeroom so I don't know.... (47%, 16 Votes)
  • I don't know about school spirit, but I know I want COOKIES (21%, 7 Votes)
  • Yes, I love seeing my homeroom and planning spirit stuff together. (24%, 8 Votes)
  • Yes, because I feel pressured to participate to not let my homeroom down. (6%, 2 Votes)

Total Voters: 30

Loading ... Loading ...

Beyond the Layers

Embracing Natural Beauty with the Support of True Friends
    Gabrielle Terlovsky, 11, beating school air.

In the world of Gen Z, where trends seemingly pop up overnight and take TikTok by storm, it’s no surprise that the latest term to capture the collective imagination is something we’ve all experienced but rarely ever talked about – “school air.”

“School air is nation-wide, I truly believe it’s a thing,” Gaby Terlovsky remarked, humorously. It’s obvious that this has become a topic of widespread discussion and amusement, but the struggle against “school air” goes beyond the realm of mere appearance; it delves into the intricate relationship young girls have with self-image. “I think the idea of school air, in truth, encourages a sense of camaraderie amongst young women, through our consensus on how it’s terrible,” she added. “We’ve all come together to combat it.”

The phenomenon of “school air” can, at times, play tricks on a girl’s confidence, making it important for them to analyze the strategies that empower them to combat these daily battles. “We, as women, are often trying to get through high school feeling, and looking our best,” declared Gaby, “But in truth, the idea of school air messes up a girl’s perception of herself.” In that sense, it’s a universal experience that transcends the boundaries of mere appearance and delves into the intricate relationship young girls have with self-image.

In a world often dominated by beauty standards, especially those set for women, it’s no surprise that a lot of us feel a pressure to look our best, in every moment, even at school. “I’ve seen women look just as amazing at school as they did right before they left for school, but they often believe otherwise,” she adds.

Gaby says she realized “that the key to combating this daily battle was not just about makeup tricks or hair products but something much deeper – self-acceptance.” In the grand scheme of things, “school air” might just be a fleeting phase in our lives.

Gabrielle’s makeup bag, a true testament to girlhood.

It was during one of those days I felt affected by school air, that I stumbled upon an unexpected lesson in self-love, thanks to Gaby. In the midst of our shared frustration over the constant battle against makeup misfortunes and gravity-defying hair, Gab turned to me with a glint in her eyes and said, “You know, you don’t need those fake lashes every day, right?”

In girl world, it’s easy to forget that our self-worth isn’t contingent on flawless makeup or perfectly styled hair. Taking off those fake lashes might seem like a small step in the grand scheme of things, but for me, it was a big leap towards self-acceptance. “Eventually, I convinced [Kanishka] to wear less makeup, and embrace herself in a way she feels comfortable,” remarked Gaby.

In the end, the battle against ‘school air’ isn’t just about makeup and hairstyles; it’s about redefining the standards we set for ourselves. It’s a journey of self-discovery. As we stand together, armed with the power of genuine confidence, we not only defy the idea of ‘school air’ but also inspire others to break free from its grip. After all, “school air” doesn’t stand a chance when we’re comfortable in our own skin.