Jessica Salzman: A Pensive Look Back on a Life Full of Pom-Poms

Jessica Salzman has been cheering for most of her life. With Senior Year speeding past, she looks back on the impact the sport has had on her life.

Rebecca Post

Jessica loves “being part of a community that really cares about each other. They show a lot of support and school spirit which makes me thankful to be a part of it.”

Celia Schmeidler, Bear Hub Staff

Q: WHAT EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITY MEANS THE MOST TO YOU?

A: Definitely Cheerleading.

Q: WHAT PULLED YOU START CHEERING AT EBHS?

A: I’ve been a cheerleader ever since I moved to East Brunswick in third grade. I’ve been on many teams for pop warner and all star cheer. I’ve always wanted to cheer in high school. It was something I dreamed of doing. I was pulled in by so many things like the football games, competitions, tryouts, and being part of a team, I was so excited for all of it.

Q: WHAT HAVE YOU LEARNED THROUGH CHEERLEADING AT EBHS THAT YOU WILL TAKE WITH YOU THROUGH LIFE?

A: I have learned how to be a part of a team and work well with others. I wasn’t that great socially before cheer, but after I feel like I’m so much more open minded.

Q: HOW HAVE YOU GROWN THROUGH CHEER ?

A: I’ve become more of a social person. Being on a team was one of the best feelings ever. Although I was a softball player and cheerleader for 6 years before entering high school and have been on many teams, this one was different. These were the people that I was going to create so many high school memories with, grow as a person, and grow as a cheerleader. One of my core memories from high school cheer was my first pre-seasons with the team. After learning the cheers, meeting the girls, and getting familiar with the routine, I knew that the next 4 years were going to be amazing.