Writing a Path to Success: Interview with Annaliese Simons

Annaliese Simons, grade 12 is the supportive co-president of GASP and an aspiring writer and poet.

Rebecca

With her talent and unwavering love for literature, Annaliese Simons 12 is on her way to becoming a writing powerhouse.

Weilin Chu, Bear Hub Staff

Q: WHAT EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITY MEANS THE MOST TO YOU?
A: GASP. In the three years I’ve been a member and the two years I’ve been co-president, we’ve created a safe and welcoming space for LGBTQ+ students and their allies to be themselves. GASP isn’t a club, we’re a community, and I feel proud to have given LGBTQ+ students the safe space that so many have not had.

A: I’m proud of myself for refusing to give up on my writing. I know a lot of people who’ve stopped doing things that they’re passionate about due to outside factors. I also know a lot of people who let their self-esteem prevent them from doing the things they love. I’ve faced both of these challenges, and I’ve continued to express myself through my writing.

Q: WHAT’S ONE OBSTACLE YOU HAVE OVERCOME DURING YOUR TIME AT EBHS?
A: I’m disabled and openly queer. Finding the strength to be proud of my identity, even when faced with discrimination or health issues, has been an ongoing journey for me. Ultimately I’ve realized that I define who I am, and that self-acceptance is radical when other people have decided that your existence is up for debate.

Q: WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS AFTER GRADUATION?
A: I’ll be attending Bard, a liberal arts college that provides creative people with opportunities and support. I attended a summer writing program hosted by Bard last year that gave me a fantastic impression of the college, so it was a natural choice.