Music and Muscle: An Interview with Barenya Das

Senior Barenya Das explains the community and passion she has discovered through field hockey and choir.

Barenya+Das+flashes+a+smile+while+proudly+wearing+her+varsity+field+hockey+jacket+while+holding+her+concert+choir+folder.+

Alefiya Presswala

Barenya Das flashes a smile while proudly wearing her varsity field hockey jacket while holding her concert choir folder.

Asmee Shitoley, Bear Hub Staff

Q: WHAT EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITY MEANS THE MOST TO YOU?

A: Being a part of East Brunswick Field Hockey has truly changed my being so much. I began playing this sport with the 8th grade school program, and grew alongside this strong and wonderful group of girls. Together, we pushed ourselves athletically in ways that some of us (myself included) never had before, and saw results. This year, we won the Greater Middlesex Conference final for the first time in 10 years and had an undefeated season in conference. Field hockey showed me that hard work really does pay off.

Q: WHAT ACCOMPLISHMENT ARE YOU MOST PROUD OF AND WHY?

A: In sophomore year, I was selected to be a part of the American Choral Directors Association’s All-Eastern High School Honor Choir. I rehearsed diligently with the guidance of teachers like Ms. De Siena and Mr. Good to create the best audition that I could. At this event, I performed alongside amazing musicians at the Eastman Theatre in Rochester. It is a memory that I will never forget.

Q: WHAT’S ONE OBSTACLE YOU HAVE OVERCOME DURING YOUR TIME AT EBHS?

A: During my freshman year, my dad moved to Belgium. Adjusting to living in a two-person household had its difficulties, but I learned the importance of non-familial communities. As a result, I was able to become more extroverted and make new relationships that were strong in their own unique ways.

Q: WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS AFTER GRADUATION?

A: I plan to study cognitive science and linguistics at a 4-year university. I also want to make sure that singing and performing remains an important part of my life, even if I am not majoring in it.