Sofia Sepulveda Pizarro: Biology Takedown

Wrestling champion, molecular bio lover, and soon-to-be Princeton student, Sofia Sepulveda Pizarro gives an insight on her time and accomplishments at EBHS.

Sofia+smiles+and+shows+off+her+Jim+Rishar+Memorial+Most+Improved+award+for+wrestling.+

Rebecca Post

Sofia smiles and shows off her “Jim Rishar Memorial Most Improved” award for wrestling.

Rebecca Post, Bear Hub Staff

Q: WHAT EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITY MEANS THE MOST TO YOU?
A: The Waksman Student Scholars Program has been the most meaningful activity I have participated in as an EBHS student. Not only did I have the chance to conduct and publish molecular biology and bioinformatics research, but I have also been able to share my knowledge and teach other students as a leader in the after school class Research and Seminars in Science Honors.

Q: WHAT ACCOMPLISHMENTS ARE YOU MOST PROUD OF?
A: I am most proud of my wrestling career at EBHS in general. I became one of the top 16 wrestlers in the state in my weight class my Junior year, and even earned the Jim Rishar Memorial Most Improved Wrestling Award!

Q: HAS THERE BEEN A SINGLE CLASS YOU HAVE TAKEN THAT HAS BEEN YOUR FAVORITE AND/OR THE MOST INFLUENTIAL TO YOU AND WHY?
A: Molecular Biology Lab Techniques. I got a chance to gain experience in a lab setting and reaffirm my interest in molecular biology. This course also allowed me to participate in the Waksman Student Scholars Program and led me to choose Molecular Biology as my major.

Q: WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS AFTER GRADUATION?
A: On my road to becoming an orthopedic doctor, I will be pursuing my passion for molecular biology at Princeton University.