BeeKEEPING the Secrets to Highschool: an Interview with Tarun Sivakumar

Find out what goes on in the life of Tarun!

Ali Soherwardy, Bear Hub Staff

Q: WHAT HOBBIES HAVE YOU PICKED UP DURING QUARANTINE?

A: Beekeeping. I became a beekeeper over quarantine. It all started when I was at Duke Farms with my mom back in May 2020. We walked around and came to the bee colony they had. They had a sign up showcasing why bees are good for the environment and what not. My mom said “why don’t we keep bees in our backyard?” but I didn’t think too much about it. But then I went home and gave it some thought, it seemed like a good idea. I couldn’t keep them in the backyard because my neighbors would kill me. So instead, I contacted the Youth Council and they led me to Lois Moskowitz, the person who runs the community garden by the library. We chose an area at the garden to keep them in, we bought a nuc [starter hive], and then everything was set by the end of May.

Q: WHAT DO YOU WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW ABOUT YOU WHEN THEY READ THIS?

A: Well, it’s a little weird to say this but I think I’m very easy to talk to. It’s super easy for me to hold conversation with anyone and anything. I was able to pick this up by always going out of my way here at EBHS.

Q: IF YOU COULD GO BACK IN TIME AND MEET SOMEONE IN HISTORY, WHO WOULD IT BE?

A: The man I would meet would be the creator of Coca Cola, Josh S. Pemberton. I would sit down with him in his lab and ask him “Why is your brain so beautiful?” Then I’d hang out with him for the whole day doing whatever he has to do and taste the original coke. Every time I see a Coca Cola truck, I smile, as they are delivering happiness.

Q: WHAT HAVE YOU LEARNED FROM YOUR SENIOR YEAR THAT WILL STICK WITH YOU FOREVER?

A: It was super important having a close group of friends going through high school. Like even if its just 2, 3, or even 10 friends, being able to lean on someone no matter the situation is what keeps people moving forward. High school [is challenging] for everyone, but having people with you together makes it so much easier to push forward.