Destined to Dance: An Interview with Jesse Kohn

“As long as you’re happy with how you are, that’s success. “

Mohammed Ali Alkhafaji, Bear Hub Staff

Jesse Kohn is one of the most talented and ambitious seniors here at EBHS. He always had an affinity for dancing, which culminated in him starting his very own business: Journey Dance Convention. With high aspirations and a mind filled with ideas, Kohn plans on double majoring in both business and dance. His hopes are to either start his very own dance studio, or keep running Journey Dance Convention.

Q: WHAT DO YOU LIKE ABOUT DANCE?

A: I like a bunch of things about dance. First, I like the fact that its very free. There’s no real set rules, I guess you could say. I also just enjoy the social aspect. I’ve met some really cool people from it. It gives me a platform to teach and I love teaching. I want to be a teacher at some point so the fact that now I teach dance is kinda like the best of both worlds. I dunno, a lot of the time when I’m dancing, I’m telling a story. I’m a very theatrical person, I’m very extra, people say. So it’s okay to do that in dance; I’m allowed to be extra.

Q: WHAT IS YOUR SMALL BUSINESS AND WHAT DO YOU DO WITH IT?

A: I run Journey Dance Convention. It’s the first ever dance convention with an all-teen faculty. I bring teenagers from all over and we do a few events, and the teens pretty much teach classes. We got people from World of Dance, America’s Got Talent, dance mobs, and they taught via Zoom. Because of COVID, people really needed a way to get back dancing so that’s kinda what I did to help. So I started that about 6 months ago. We had 3 Zoom events and 1 in-person event in New Jersey and working on expanding and hopefully taking Journey more places.

Q: WHAT DO YOU CONSIDER SUCCESS?

A: Being happy is the key to success. Just definitely being happy, because if you’re happy, that means that there are a lot of other things going right for you. I don’t really regret anything because I’m happy with where I am. As long as you’re happy with how you are, that’s success.

Q: IF YOU WERE STUCK ON AN ISLAND, WHAT ITEMS WOULD YOU TAKE?

A: What do people need to bring on an abandoned island? Hold on, I might need to Google this haha. I guess I’ll have to bring a knife, I think that would get me a lot of things. And then, I’d say one of those life straw thingies so I could drink water with a water purifier. Can I bring a friend, is that in the rules? I think that’d be fun. I’d bring a friend, a knife and a water purifier. Definitely making it out of there. One hundred percent making it out of there with those three things, without a doubt!

Combined with his splendid passion for dance, his great work ethic, ambitious plans, and outgoing attitude, Jesse Kohn is certainly someone to look up to, not just for seniors, but for all students of EBHS.