Emily Razak: The Play-er Behind the Scenes

Emily Razak’s time at EBHS has been spent doing her coursework and working on the school plays. Though her favorite so far, Guys and Dolls, was cancelled, she still looks fondly on her time as a stage manager.

Emily+Razak%2C+whose+favorite+production+that+she+worked+on+was+Guys+and+Dolls%2C+both+due+to+the+friends+she+made+and+how+everyones+hard+work+had+been+paying+off.+

Emily Razak, whose favorite production that she worked on was Guys and Dolls, both due to the friends she made and how everyone’s hard work had been paying off.

Jaiden Radoczy, Bear Hub Staff

Q: WHAT WAS YOUR FAVORITE PART ABOUT BEING STAGE MANAGER?

A:  I love the running around. As a stage manager, I talk to the crew backstage, the actors onstage, and the directors in the audience. I run all over the auditorium and everything feels chaotic but it’s also so fun. Everything moves so fast but it all comes together in the end.

Q: WHAT SORT OF THINGS DID YOU DO AS STAGE MANAGER?

A:  I stage managed events like Mr. EBHS, Collision and Senior Variety Night. These events can almost be more difficult than Drama Club events because people who are putting on the event don’t always understand what we can and can’t do and we only get one rehearsal, if we’re lucky, to practice it. Since I’m backstage, people don’t really recognize that there is someone pulling the curtains open and closed or pulling down the projector or making sure people are where they need to be.

Q: WHAT CHALLENGES DID YOU FACE DURING YOUR TIME AT EBHS AND HOW DID YOU ADAPT TO THEM?

A:  I have really bad anxiety and it really affected my ability to do work or the quality of the work that I did. My sophomore year was really tough because I was adjusting to going to a new school with meeting new people and my workload was at a higher difficulty than in freshman year. Throughout my time in EBHS, I learned to try my best to balance schoolwork and maintain my mental health. As hard as it was to learn that, I’m glad I did in high school so I can go into college having that skill set and self awareness.