Living and Learning; Interview with Emma Hoover

Shining a Spotlight on Emma’s Bear Necessities!

Emma Hoover, 12, is looking forward to graduating from EBHS and applying the lessons she has learned in the real world.

Sabrina Portnoy, Bear Hub Staff

Reflecting back on the good and the bad is the best way to grow. In an interview with EBHS senior, Emma Hoover, she reveals how High School was not the easiest time for her, however, as a senior she has taken away many lessons. Unfortunately, her senior year was cut short due to Covid; however, Emma maintains a positive outlook on life and the future.

Q: WHAT IS ONE ESSENTIAL EBHS EXPERIENCE YOU WILL NEVER FORGET?

A: Managing the boy’s basketball and baseball teams. It taught me so much about sportsmanship, hard work and commitment. It helped me create some amazing friendships that I’ll cherish forever and some moments that will never slip my memory. My advice to underclassmen is to make sure you go to the games! Don’t ever miss an opportunity to be part of the Bear Den supporting our teams. It’s something I have deeply missed during my senior year.

Q: WHAT IS THE MOST ESSENTIAL LESSON THAT YOU WILL TAKE FROM EBHS TO USE IN YOUR FUTURE?

A: Focus on yourself. The only opinion about you that matters is your own. There will always be someone trying to bring you down, but it shows more about who THEY are, not who you are. Don’t let others get in your head and make you question yourself, it’s your life.

Q: WHAT HAS HAPPENED IN YOUR LIFE THAT HAS SET YOU APART FROM YOUR PEERS?

A: Throughout high school, I received a lot of negativity from people I once considered friends. Over time, I learned to disregard the comments and to focus on enjoying life and my plans for the future. I learned not every action deserves a reaction. It’s often better to block out the noise and listen to the people that matter.

Q: WHAT IS ONE THING YOU COULD NOT LIVE WITHOUT?

A: My Family. Without my Mom always pushing me to do better, my sister giving me advice, and my Dad knowing how to put a smile on my face anytime I’m saddened or frustrated, I wouldn’t be half the person I am today. I’m so grateful to have them by my side through thick and thin and wouldn’t trade them for the world.

High school is a place of growth, knowledge, and hardships. Emma has been able to overcome all of the blocks standing in her way and has learned to focus on herself. She will use this lesson as she continues to grow up and enter the real world, outside of EBHS. The EBHS community wishes her luck as she spreads her wings and ventures further out into the world.