Isabella Pereira: Flipping Into Our Hearts

Bella is a senior at East Brunswick High School. She is a very talented artist and gymnast. She is one of the friendliest faces you will ever come across, and she is a friend to all. Read more about Bella below!

Isabella Pereira, 12, poses with a big smile on her face and her gymnastics uniform in hand.

Shivani Ghatak, Bear Hub Staff

Shivani Ghatak
Bella Pereira, 12, jumps with joy and full of energy at her senior night for gymnastics.

Q: WHAT ARE YOU HOLDING IN YOUR PHOTO? WHAT IS THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THIS OBJECT?
A: My EBHS Gymnastics team competition leotard.  Being on the gymnastics team has completely changed me and made me the confident person I am today. I started as a shy freshman, totally scared to try new things. However, I pushed myself to try out for the gymnastics team, and I’m so glad I stuck with it. I left my boundaries and was able to meet new friends and face my fear of judgment by competing on the gymnastics team at competitions. My leotard has so much significance to me because it marks when I was able to overcome my fears and realize that life truly begins once you leave your comfort zone.

Q: HOW HAS THIS OBJECT SHAPED YOUR PERSONALITY IN IMPORTANT WAYS?
A: I used to be so shy going into freshman year. I was scared to try new things, and always had a fear of judgement. However, because I loved gymnastics, my mom pushed me to try out for the high school team. Despite my fears, I pushed myself to try out. I am so glad I tried out and stayed on the team, because this team has brought me life long friends, and competing helped me overcome my fear of judgement. My competition leotard made me into the much more confident person I am today, and without it, I would’ve never realized how much I am capable of, what you can do with hard work, and that life begins outside of your comfort zone. Because of gymnastics and my leotard, I realized the true value of support and how important it is to be supportive to those around you.

Q: WHAT/WHO INSPIRES YOU AND WHY?
A: My friends and family inspire me everyday, because they’re so hard working, kind, loving, and supportive. Without them, I wouldn’t have the motivation that I have.

Q: WHAT HAS HAPPENED IN YOUR LIFE THAT SETS YOU APART FROM YOUR PEERS?
A: I used to be very shy and scared to try new things. However, once I pushed myself to out for the gymnastics team and was welcomed on to the team, I was able to meet new friends and face my fears. I’ve overcome my shyness, and now I am so much more confident and I’m always willing to try new things. I love to perform dances at Asian Club events, and I always try to be friendly and outgoing because you can always make someone’s day, or meet an amazing person!

Q: HOW HAS YOUR JOURNEY OVERCOMING YOUR SHYNESS IMPACTED YOUR LIFE AND YOUR PERSPECTIVE OF THE WORLD?
A: I’ve learned that you have to follow your heart and forget about judgment, because there’s so much waiting beyond your comfort zone. I’ve also realized the importance of a support system, and the importance of the support of those close to you.

Q: IF YOU COULD GO BACK IN TIME AND TELL YOURSELF SOMETHING, WHAT WOULD YOU SAY?
A: I would tell myself that everything works out in the end! Try your hardest, be happy, and remember everything will be ok.

Q: DO YOU HAVE ANY LEADERSHIP ROLES IN THE SCHOOL? IF SO, WHAT?
A: This year, I was one of the captains of the gymnastics team. I’m also art director of Asian Club!

Q: WHAT TYPE OF ACTIVITIES, CLUBS, SPORTS, AND/OR SCHOOL EVENTS DO YOU PARTICIPATE IN?
A: I’ve loved being a part of the gymnastics team. I also love being in Asian Club, because I love planning and performing at the events! My friend and I have performed K-pop dances at the Asian Club events which have been so much fun.

Q: WHAT MOMENT FROM BEING ON THE GYMNASTICS TEAM IS YOUR FAVORITE AND WHY?
A: Winning GMC’s this past season was so amazing. We all really came together as a team, and it was so awesome getting to see everyone’s hard work paying off. We all had so much fun at GMC’s, and we all worked really hard to make sure we did our best as a team.

Q: HOW HAS GYMNASTICS TAUGHT YOU LEADERSHIP?
A: As one of the captains this year on the team, I had to make sure we were reaching our full potential, while having fun in the process! I learned that it’s important to step up to make sure everything is running smoothly, and to make sure everything goes according to plan, so that the best comes of the team.

Q: WHAT IS YOUR VISION FOR YOUR FUTURE?
A: In the future, I want to see a world where everyone is happy to be themselves and everyone feels supported and loved. I want emotional support to be accessible for everyone, and I want to see a world where everyone is working together for the greater good, and world without violence and a world with peace.

Q: WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO AS A CAREER? WHAT EVENT TOOK PLACE IN YOUR LIFE THAT DETERMINED YOUR CAREER CHOICE?
A: I would love to become a creative director in the fashion industry. I’ve always loved fashion and art, and being Asian Club Art Director has made me realize how much I love creative art projects. I hope to one day become a creative director so I can design, create, and oversee different projects for a fashion magazine or company.

Q: HOW DO YOU SEE YOUR ROLE IN THE WORLD?
A: I want to be a leader and I want to help others through whatever I do. I want to improve the lives of people around me, and I want them to know that things will be ok and everything will work out.