The Living Yearbook of East Brunswick High School

EBHS Bear Hub

EBHS Bear Hub

EBHS Bear Hub

Polls

Do you think homeroom is making an impact on school spirit?

• I was asleep in homeroom so I don't know.... (47%, 16 Votes)
  • Yes, I love seeing my homeroom and planning spirit stuff together. (24%, 8 Votes)
  • Yes, because I feel pressured to participate to not let my homeroom down. (6%, 2 Votes)
  • I have infiltrated an alternate homeroom where I indeed am quite spirited. (3%, 1 Votes)
  • I don't know about school spirit, but I know I want COOKIES (21%, 7 Votes)

Total Voters: 30

Loading ... Loading ...

Indo-Western blends

Explore the integrations of Indian culture into American society
Approximately+36%2C000+Indians+engaged+in+a+yoga+pose+on+International+Yoga+Day+
Approximately 36,000 Indians engaged in a yoga pose on International Yoga Day

As the daughter of Indian immigrants, Indian culture is vital to my life. Over the years, I began to see similarities between Indian culture and cultures within the US as Americans discover Indian concepts. However, what stood out to me more was the vast differences in how Americans alter and use these concepts.

Growing up, I frequently participated in yoga classes with my mom. I didn’t know yoga was an Indian practice because the class environment didn’t correspond to Indian culture. Traditionally, Indians wouldn’t be doing yoga on bouncy balls in gym rooms, they would be practicing in simple places like fields to obtain the spiritual benefits. Their focus was the values, not the environment and they valued yoga for its mental worth more than the physical aspects which I valued it for. Looking back, I wish I knew about these Indian values and they were incorporated into my yoga class. The combination of traditional aspects and the physical values would be beneficial by allowing people to widen their outlook on what yoga has to offer.

Yoga practice in the US

Every night, my kitchen is filled with the aroma of ginger as my mom prepares chai, which is Indian tea. She is committed to a fifteen minute process as she takes the time to grate the ginger, grind the spices, and brew the drink on the stove. I think Americans who enjoy chai should be aware of this traditional process and form, instead of basing chai on Starbucks chai lattes. Starbucks chai has minimal resemblance to the drink, through the ingredients and artificial methods used to make it, which is why Indian spices and methods should be included. This would also allow Americans to experience the true version of chai and discover Indian flavors, combined with classic lattes.

American adaptations of Indian concepts should combine American and Indian values and interests to represent both cultures. This will allow Americans to experience the best of both worlds right at home.

Starbucks’ chai latte                                                                  
My mom preparing her traditional chai at home