Homecoming: A Chance To Celebrate

Homecoming week created an even stronger sense of community at EBHS.

October 27, 2021

As defined by online dictionaries, homecoming, or ‘hoco’, as many students call it, is an American/Canadian tradition meant to celebrate an organization’s existence. At EBHS, homecoming is a way for students to come together and celebrate themselves and show off their school spirit. This year, it was a huge hit with over 1000 tickets sold and more students participating than ever.

Keep scrolling to read more about Spirit Week, hallway decorating, and the actual homecoming dance!

Spirit Week: A Peek Into The EBHS Community

This group of juniors was very enthusiastic about participating in Pajama Day. Many EBHS students- and teachers- rocked funky, patterned pants and hoodies on Monday to show off their spirit.

Whether it was pajamas or skirts, students went all out this year for Spirit Week.

This year, Spirit Week was a competition between homerooms: the most spirited homeroom(s) from each grade won a breakfast from Dr. Vinella.
Spirit Week started on Monday, October 18th with Pajama Day, and then followed with Hat Day on Tuesday, Pink Day on Wednesday, Formal (Dress up) Day on Thursday, and of course, finished out with Color Wars on Friday.

The homerooms that were the most spirited were: F8 (seniors), K2 and K11 (juniors), and D19 (sophomores).

(left to right) Seniors Brianna Boen, Nora Hennessy, Alefiya Presswala, and Mary Elgayar give us a thumbs-up to show how excited they are about their unique hats.

Senior Nora Hennessy, president of Student Council, told the Hub: “I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of people that participated in Spirit Week this year. It was so nice to see everyone dressed up.”

Sophomore Amena Presswala added: “I really liked Formal Day. It was fun to be able to wear a dress to school and feel fancy with all my friends.”

Around The World- In The Terminal!

This year’s homecoming theme for hallway decorations was cities.

A popular tradition that takes place during homecoming week is hallway decorating. Each grade decorates a section of the terminal according to a collective theme. This year’s theme was Cities. Seniors were assigned New Orleans, juniors were assigned Tokyo, and sophomores were assigned Tokyo.

Hallway decorating took place on Tuesday, October 19. Students and class council advisors came together to put together their various props and decorations. Everyone was determined to go all out with their decorations, especially after not being able to decorate the previous year.

For New Orleans, the seniors decided to do three different sections, following a theme of voodoo and Mardi Gras.

For their Tokyo theme, the juniors created a Japanese cherry blossom garden, along with a few famous pieces of Japanese architecture.

The class of 2024 constructed the Eiffel Tower and a Parisian café for their Paris theme.

All three grades went above and beyond when it came to decorating the terminal this year, but in the end, the sophomores won with their elegant café scene.

The Homecoming Dance: Who’s Ready to Rave?

A group of students were so excited about homecoming that they couldn’t even stand still for a photo.

The first EBHS event after a year and a half of virtual learning was a huge success.

This year’s homecoming dance was unlike any other. Held outside on the baseball field with over 1000 tickets sold, it was truly a sight to see.

The Homecoming dance was the first in-person EBHS event held in nearly 1.5 years, so it was an especially special celebration- and everyone looked especially beautiful. From 6:30 to 8:30 on Friday night, the baseball field was an array of shiny dresses and colorful ties.

The DJs, Joe Palmer and Neil Datta (both seniors), were a crowd favorite, especially when they played Mr. Brightside.

Earlier during the week, teachers nominated students from each grade to be Homecoming Royalty, and students were able to vote on three winners from their respective grades Friday morning during homeroom.
The nine winners- Barenya Das (12), Marco Debellis (12), Dominic Villalona (12), Anya Choudry (11), Jami Davis (11), Reah Robinson (11), Shayan Chaudhury (10), Alexandra Diaz (10), and Evan Wu (10)- were officially crowned and presented at the dance.

Overall, EBHS’s 2021 homecoming dance was not only a beautiful end to homecoming/spirit week, but also a beautiful way to welcome everyone back to school and celebrate our resilience after a challenging year.