An Interview with Ms. Blore: The Importance of Special Education

Keep reading to learn a little more about Special Ed teacher Ms. Blore.

Alefiya Presswala, Bear Hub Editor

Ms. Blore, a Special Education teacher who has taught all levels of students all throughout the district, is enthusiastic about special education and making her classroom an accepting space. In this interview, she gives us a peek into why teaching special education is important to her.

Q: HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN TEACHING AT EBHS?

A: It will be a year in January. I was transferred here last year from Churchill Junior High School. And before that, before Churchill, I was at Central Elementary School. So in the District, I’ve been here for 21 years. I was always in the Special Education Department.

Q: WHY DID YOU SPECIFICALLY START TEACHING IN SPECIAL EDUCATION?

A: Well, I struggled with myself in school. I actually went here, I graduated a long time ago
(laughs) But I struggled in math and reading, and I always knew that I had one teacher in elementary school who made the difference for me. Once I got older, I was hoping to make that difference for someone else.

Q: DO YOU HAVE ANY FAVORITE MEMORIES OR EXPERIENCES WITH STUDENTS THAT HAVE STUCK WITH YOU?

A: Absolutely. I have a student I currently have who I also had in preschool. When that student had started in the preschool program, he did not walk or talk. And now he is flourishing.

Q: IF YOU COULD TELL PEOPLE OUTSIDE YOUR DEPARTMENT ONE THING, WHAT WOULD YOU WANT THEM TO KNOW?

A: That our kids are amazing, and that they need to be included in everything because they will meet the goal that you set for them. They can reach those goals, and they are amazing, amazing people.

The Special Education department is all about diversity, inclusivity, and community- Ms. Blore and the pride she has in her students exemplifies just that.