I love trying new things and I’m always on the search for new dessert recipes, but somehow, I always come back to these lemon cookies. These cookies are a huge hit in my house: they’re simple to make, have a wonderful flavor, and stay soft for days!
-1 cup white sugar
-½ cup butter, softened
-2 tbsp fresh lemon zest
-1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
-½ tsp vanilla extract
-1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
-1 ½ tsp baking powder
-¼ tsp salt
-¼ cup powdered sugar
1. Cream sugar, butter, and lemon zest together in a large bowl using an electric mixer until light and fluffy. This should take about 2-3 minutes. *Make sure your butter is at room temperature for this! Otherwise this process will be really difficult*
2. Combine eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla extract in a cup. Beat into sugar mixture on low speed.
3. Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl. Add to mixture slowly on low speed until just combined. *Make sure not to overbeat this mixture- it’s really sticky!*
4. Cover the dough and let chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
5. Form dough into balls and roll each in powdered sugar. Place each ball onto baking sheets and lightly press down on each ball with fingers.
6. Bake in the oven for around 11-12 minutes.
*Optional: I like to add a little bit of yellow food coloring to my cookies to make them more colorful*