Spring Signing Day: EB’s Athletes Headed to New Places

On April 14, EBHS hosted a Spring Signing Day, where athletes, families, and coaches gathered to celebrate their commitment to playing at the next level.

After a successful career on the girls soccer team, Emma Simpson, 12, will be heading to TCNJ to play soccer.

Kal Pandit, Bear Hub Staff

After years of hard work and a competitive recruiting and application process, some 20 student-athletes have committed to colleges for athletics this spring.

Jordan Herbert was selected for the NJ All-State Cheerleading Team in January. She’ll be attending the University of Delaware for Exercise Science and cheer.

As a cross country and track and field runner, Matt Gonzalez has been a standout athlete and charismatic captain. He’s headed to Wilmington University for cross country and track and field.

Brian McSweeney is one of New Jersey’s top jumpers — he’s specifically broken school records in the pole vault. He’s committed to West Point to continue his track pursuits.

Jenna Garofalo has earned varsity letters for softball for all four years of her high school career. At Centenary University, she’ll be studying Special Education and playing softball.

In her junior year, Kaitlyn Wong was selected to the GMC All-Conference team for field hockey. She has continued her hard work this year — and next fall, she’ll be attending the University of Rochester.

Ryan VanDeVeen, who’s one of the top swimmers in the GMC, has had a record-shattering swim career. He’ll be continuing his swimming pursuits at TCNJ.

On the girl’s swim team, Kerry O’Brien has excelled as an athlete. She’s one of the top GMC swimmers in the 200 freestyle. She signed to Ithaca College for swimming.

Anaya Prince has been a star volleyball player, and her work on the court has paid off. She’ll be going to Farleigh Dickinson University as a pre-veterinary student and volleyball player.

Devin Kennedy was named to the GMC All-Conference team for boys’ basketball. He’s a leader on the court and a talented athlete. This fall, he’ll be playing basketball at Marist College.

Erin Cosio has inspired her teammates as a captain and all-division player. At CUNY Hunter College, she will be studying nursing and continuing her career in basketball.

A veteran midfielder, Isabella Martillo was named an All-Red Division player and team captain for girls’ soccer. She’s headed to Binghamton University for soccer.

Emma Simpson was also a captain and All-GMC athlete. This fall, she’ll be bringing her soccer skills to TCNJ.

Meanwhile, Ariel Salaman has been an outstanding goalkeeper for the girls soccer team; in fact, NJ.com cited her as among the state’s Top 50 goalkeepers. She will be playing soccer at the College of Staten Island.

Anthony Mastro has stood out as a varsity soccer player, giving his all on the field each day. He will be attending Immaculata University to play soccer this fall.

Andre Shelton, meanwhile, has been a versatile, charismatic varsity soccer player. At Iona College, he’ll be studying Business Management and playing soccer.

Zach Zebro was named Borden’s Baller of the Year and a recipient of the Bill Denny Scholar-Athlete Award. He has committed to the US Merchant Marine Academy to play football.

Tyler Conroy has also stood out as a football player, playing an integral role in East Brunswick’s comeback seasons. He’ll be playing football at Norwich University.

Vincent Bechler has been a successful lacrosse midfielder and student. He has signed to play lacrosse at Juniata College this fall.

Ethan Keith has stood out as a “triple-threat” athlete, participating and succeeding in football, wrestling, and lacrosse. He’ll be studying masonry and playing lacrosse at Williamson College of the Trade.

And last but certainly not least, Arianna Daringa has succeeded in her club fencing career — in just her freshman year, USA Fencing selected her for the All-American team. She’ll be continuing her fencing endeavors and studying Engineering Management at Stevens Institute of Technology.

These 20 athletes will bring to their colleges an incredible work ethic and their EB spirit. They’ll be valuable additions to their campus communities. EBHS sends its best wishes to all of them as they continue their athletic and academic careers!