Let’s Go Bears! An Interview with Dominic Sclafani

A spotlight on Dom’s life as an EBHS senior.

Dominic Sclafani, 12, proudly showing off his East Brunswick High School varsity jacket.

Sarah Kincaid, Bear Hub Editor

Dominic Sclafani is a senior of East Brunswick High School. If you’ve had the pleasure of passing him in the terminal or sitting next to him in class, then you would know how kindhearted and easy to talk to he is. Dominic is a welcoming part of our EBHS community and he is constantly going above and beyond to show his school spirit both on the football field, or just walking in the hallways. Dom can assure everyone that High School isn’t always the easiest time of a teenager’s life, but as you go along you learn many beneficial lessons about yourself and the world around you.

Q: WHAT DO YOU WANT PEOPLE READING THIS TO KNOW ABOUT YOU?

A: I’ve overcome many obstacles, one of which was adversity. I was always picked on for being different than everyone else, but did I let that get to me? No, I became an autism rights advocate and won two awards in overcoming adversity and even played varsity football!! I’ve made many changes to the school involving special education, including having mental health be taught in health, having autism awareness day, and even creating the health and wellness fair!

Q: WHAT HAS BEEN THE MOST MEMORABLE HIGH SCHOOL EXPERIENCE FOR YOU?

A: The most memorable high school experience for me was, during my senior night for football, I got 3 tackles and they said my name on the loudspeaker, which had always been a dream of mine.

Q: WHAT PIECE OF ADVICE WOULD YOU OFFER ANY INCOMING SOPHOMORES?

A: Make the best of your high school career, go to dances, games, and class events, because it’ll be gone in the blink of an eye. Take it from someone who lost half their senior year, make the good times last because at any given moment, it can be ripped from you.

Q: WHAT DOES THE FUTURE HOLD FOR YOU?

A: I’m planning on attending nursing school next year, I want to be a pediatric nurse!! I will also continue volunteering as a firefighter and with EMS!! (Emergency Medical Services)

Q: WHAT IS ONE THING YOU CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT?

A: I’d say the one thing I can’t see myself living without is my varsity jacket because it reminds me of how much hard work I did to earn it.

From his years in East Brunswick High School, Dominic Sclafani has shown his passion and loyalty wherever he goes. If you caught him playing in one of EB’s friday night football games, you should feel honored! No matter what path the future leads Dominic down, Bear Hub wishes him the best and is sure he will do amazing things in his life.