Alexis Utter: A Dedicated Dancer

Senior Alexis Utter is a passionate dancer, student, and artist. As captain of the dance team and a member of both National Honor Society and French Honor Society, she has been heavily involved at EBHS. In her own way, she has exhibited excellence in academics, athletics, and the arts.

After high school, Alexis hopes to pursue dance and marketing in college. She also wants to “start teaching dance to children and perform with professional dance companies in New York City,” she tells Bear Hub.

Kal Pandit, Bear Hub Staff

Q: WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO PURSUE DANCE IN THE FIRST PLACE?

A: My parents put me in dance classes when I was three years old and I continue to take dance classes to this day. My passion to pursue dance as a career came when I was about thirteen years old and I joined a pre-professional dance company in New York City. I was inspired by the talent and ambience of the city and I decided that I was going to work towards going to college for dance.

Q: WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE MEMORY FROM THE DANCE TEAM?

A: My favorite memory was dancing at PowderPuff my junior year. It was my first performance after my ACL surgery and I was so grateful to be back, doing what I love most. Being surrounded by the team as well as my friends and family made the time while recovering from my injury worth it.

Q: WHAT IMPACT DO YOU HOPE TO HAVE IN THE FUTURE?

A: I hope to impact the way people view dance and other art forms. I believe that the arts are extremely important for self-expression and mental health. In the future, I want to be a dance educator that not only teaches young dancers but validates their worth in a society that often misinterprets the intellectual skill and athleticism that is required of a serious dancer.

Q: IF THERE IS ONE THING YOU COULDN’T LIVE WITHOUT, WHAT WOULD IT BE AND WHY?

A: I wouldn’t be able to live without music because I think music is the heartbeat of dance and it is the reason dance was started in the first place. Music inspires me to create movement and so it is key to my success. With so many amazing artists out there, music has expanded my relationship with dance and opened doors to endless possibilities. Music, apart from dance, also helps me to relax and become invested in other creative projects while I’m at home, such as drawing and painting.

Throughout high school, Alexis has stayed true to herself through dance and art. It might be tough to stand out in such a large crowd, but Alexis has done just that. In essence, her EBHS experience has been uniquely hers.