Cyber Celebrations

Cultural diversity is something that I am proud to say EBHS has a lot of. When Bear Hub asked students about the cultures they celebrate, the answers ranged from Eid to Yom Kippur to Diwali. Each person and family celebrate their respective cultures differently; however, with Covid-19, some alterations had to be made in order for everyone to stay happy and healthy.

Cyber+Celebrations

Sabrina Portnoy, Bear Hub Staff

Covid-19 has changed many aspects of life, including the way people celebrate their cultures. “In the past, it was fun to hang out with friends but now we really can’t because of the many guidelines we have to follow,” Shaheer Saud, a junior at EBHS, says when asked about how cultural celebrations have changed from before quarantine to now.
Cultural celebrations are all about celebrating common beliefs with a community of people, friends, and family alike. Most families have their own cultural traditions that they usually celebrate in large gatherings or church services. Unfortunately, due to the pandemic, many of these plans had to be canceled and new traditions had to be created.

Shaheer Saud, 11, and his younger brother pose for a photo in their traditional clothes, ready to celebrate Eid-al-Fitr. This is Shaheer’s favorite holiday “because it marks the end of Ramadan, the holy month of fasting.”

Now, cultural celebrations consist of Zoom calls, small outdoor gatherings, and socially distanced reunions. On Yom Kippur, my family usually has a big dinner after attending a temple service. Obviously, this was not a possibility this year, so instead, we hosted a Zoom dinner where each household was responsible for their own food and entertainment. Many others have had to alter traditions due to the pandemic. Junior Caroline Egerman tells Bear Hub, “I celebrated Passover with my extended family over Zoom. Despite it only being three people, we still cooked a whole meal. We also celebrated Rosh Hashanah outside with a few of our family friends.” Although it may not be as fun or exciting as an in-person gathering, this virtual way of celebrating has become the new norm this year.

Riya Shah, 11, poses in her beautiful dress excited to celebrate Diwali. She says, “Diwali changed a lot because we couldn’t meet up with any families and have a huge dinner together.” Nonetheless, she smiles bright and embodies the festival of lights perfectly.

Cyber celebrating may not seem ideal, but it does have its perks. For example, family members from different states or countries can connect at the click of a button. It may seem pointless or boring to celebrate your culture with just your immediate family, but it is important since culture is a way to bring people together (even virtually) during these troubling times. Happy cyber celebrating!