Ben Wang: Efficient Playing

Ben Wang is an active member of the Marching Band. He is interested in pursuing computer science in college.

Arjun Deepak, Bear Hub Staff

Q: WHAT IS SOMETHING THAT IS IMPORTANT TO YOU THAT NO ONE TALKS ABOUT?
A: “Security, #nobodycares” – Mr. Cohen

Q: WHAT WAS THE MOST IMPORTANT LESSON YOU LEARNED IN HIGH SCHOOL?
A: A lot of times we aren’t able to do all the things we’d like to. I’ve learned that it’s really important to find something you enjoy doing and commit to it. It becomes easier to put in hard work and feels great when you see the fruits of the time get rewarded for all the time you’ve put in. Band has shown me this – being able to see how much you can improve, putting in work and being able to see the progress you’ve made. Seeing how much you’ve improved is a great feeling, but unless you put in the work, you won’t be able to experience that feeling.

Q: IF SOMEONE ASKED TO BE YOUR APPRENTICE AND LEARN ALL THAT YOU KNOW, WHAT WOULD YOU TEACH THEM?
A: If someone asked to be my apprentice and learn all that I know, I’d probably teach them a little bit about the wonders of programming. Programming can be a lot of fun and you can bring your imagination to life with just a few lines of code.
When I was younger, I got really into game development and I’d love to be able to share that knowledge with someone else. It’s a lot of fun, basically being able to program whatever you want. One of my projects was a Tic-Tac-Toe game where you could play against a robot. Even though game development is fun, I still find efficiency in programming more intriguing: writing less to achieve more and the different ways you can write the same program. If I had an apprentice, I would teach them about programming efficiency and game development.

Q: IN ONE SENTENCE, HOW WOULD YOU SUM UP YOUR HIGH SCHOOL EXPERIENCE?
A: Epic.