Bears in Color

Perhaps you were eating lunch or chatting with your friends when you noticed the painted bears in the cafeteria, or the murals on the walls that seemed to have multiplied overnight. The students behind this project, of course, were students from Art Honors Society.

Trinity McDonald, Bear Hub Staff

Perhaps you were eating lunch or chatting with your friends when you noticed the painted bears in the cafeteria, or the murals on the walls that seemed to have multiplied overnight. The students behind this project, of course, were students from Art Honors Society. Swarms of AHS members could consistently be found after school, whether painting Mr. McCarthy’s door or coating the cafeteria walls, coming together to bring personality to the EBHS halls.

Some new additions to the cafeteria are the mini bears in the Senior Section. Some are realistic like the bears next to the bathrooms, while others are in the style of anime or cartoons. Art Honors Society’s public representative Samantha Wondoloski says, “The bears are unique to each member of Art Club.” Each bear is painted by a different member and reflects their different art styles. “It represents the art community coming together as a whole,” Samantha continues, and allows the artists to have a great time being creative. 

The flexibility of Art Honors Society sets it apart from other clubs at EBHS. Instead of following an agenda or sitting around a table at their meetings, art teacher Mr. McCarthy sends each student off on different projects throughout the school, free to pursue their own creative process. He will entrust an upperclassmen to lead a team of underclassmen to help complete his vision. Mr. McCarthy also likes to get involved in the painting himself, working alongside students to brighten the halls of EBHS.